Plumbing a UV

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm running the Aqua 40 and currently have it pulling and returning into the return area of the sump.
Obviously not ideal, right?
Installation instructions say to pull water after all filters, hence the sump return chamber. It doesn't specify where to dump out but into the tank is only logical.
However this certainly doesn't seem possible (tank up) and to hard plumb the return behind the tank into the water. I don't want it plumbing showing on the exposed side and don't really want plumbing on the same side as all my controllers...
The heat is killing me with the additional pump but that's another issue and thread.

Appreciate any suggestions or recommendations!

I have mine taking from the 2nd chamber of my sump...after all pre-filters but returning to the 3rd chamber where the return pump is plumbed. This prevents short cycling of the water which in my opinion isn't a bad thing in this case. The more contact the water gets with the UV, the more it can destroy.

Camellia,
I do not see an issue with your current setup. With a UV, you are running thousands of gallons a day, 24/7, so after a while I doubt the difference in kill is any different with any other setup.

If your intake and return is in the return section of the sump, you can minimize repetitive water cycing by pulling water from the side away from the return pump intake, and return water right next to the return pump intake.

But, there really is no problem placing the UV pump in the skimmer section of the sump and returning to the return section, IMO.

MY UV pump pulls from the return section, feeds the UV, which then feeds my external protein skimmer, which then returns to the intake section of the sump. I don;t worry about tit because the UV processes so much water.

Back