Plumbing for dummies

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
Need some help with terms. Socket X Socket vs. FNPT X FNPT. What is the differences? Pros/Cons of each type?

I'm in the process of setting of a sump and I need to order my Schedule 80 plumbing. I'm only finding grey color schedule 80, not black. It appears that I can't get the PVC that has thread at the ends. I was planning on setting it up for easy convenience if I need to get into the plumbing for maintenance. I didn't want to glue everything together because I would have to cut it perform maintenance if needed in the future. I was wanting to go with threaded bulkheads for convenience. Any help would be appreciated. Pictures or illustrations would even be better of your current setup or future plans. Thanks in advance.

Wannabee

Yes, they were the first part I put in my shopping cart. Just trying to figure out the difference. I assume the socket x socket is for permanent glue. The FNPT X FNPT is for attaching to threaded pipe? Hate to order the wrong stuff, especially when I incur the shipping charges.

Wannabee

I'm looking at these two:
http://www.grainger.com/product/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Union-11W267?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP">http://www.grainger.com/product/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Union-11W267?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP</a>

[IMG]http://www.grainger.com/product/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Union-11W261?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP">http://www.grainger.com/product/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Union-11W261?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP</a>

Wanting to bring these into the equation:

[IMG]http://www.grainger.com/product/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Wye-1VGA6?s_pp=false&=">http://www.grainger.com/product/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Wye-1VGA6?s_pp=false&=</a>

Wannabee

P.S. Do you think I'll have to worry about any leeching down the road from this type of Schedule 80 products?

Socket is commonly referred to as slip. That is to be glued together. FNPT is Female National Pipe Thread. More commonly referred to as National Pipe Thread. This would be screwed together. If you use it, wrap the threads with Teflon tape to prefect leaking. Don't use pipe dope.

I would highly recommend glued slip fittings over threaded. To ensure a good lasting seal, use the correct primer and glue for the pipe you are using. When you put them together give it a twist before it sets up. Hold pressure on it for about 10 seconds and it wi never leak.

Threaded schedule 80 is rare. Fire sprinkler companies will sometimes use it but it goes under a different name. It has additives that makes it fire rated and increases the cost.

Hope that helps.

rdnelson99;1008426 wrote: Socket is commonly referred to as slip. That is to be glued together. FNPT is Female National Pipe Thread. More commonly referred to as National Pipe Thread. This would be screwed together. If you use it, wrap the threads with Teflon tape to prefect leaking. Don't use pipe dope.

I would highly recommend glued slip fittings over threaded. To ensure a good lasting seal, use the correct primer and glue for the pipe you are using. When you put them together give it a twist before it sets up. Hold pressure on it for about 10 seconds and it wi never leak.

Threaded schedule 80 is rare. Fire sprinkler companies will sometimes use it but it goes under a different name. It has additives that makes it fire rated and increases the cost.

Hope that helps.
Very helpful Rich, Thank you. The schedule 80 threaded with the additive may leech some nasty stuff into the water column over time. I guess I'll have to go with the permanent glued ones. I'll just order some extra unions and place them down the lines for future preventative maintenance if needed. This will allow me to go into the plumbing without having to cut the lines. Thanks again.

Wannabee

I definitely would only use slip fittings and just add a union or true Union ball valve where you might want to take your plumbing apart. I started with a 30g frag tank and will be over 300g by the weekend and a lot of my original plumbing is still intact as I've expanded due to the use of unions and ball valves every where. Haven't had to tear anything down.

tonymission;1008431 wrote: I definitely would only use slip fittings and just add a union or true Union ball valve where you might want to take your plumbing apart. I started with a 30g frag tank and will be over 300g by the weekend and a lot of my original plumbing is still intact as I've expanded due to the use of unions and ball valves every where. Haven't had to tear anything down.

Any chance of getting a few snapshots if possible? I'm starting with a 29 gallon, but that's a great idea if I could design it to where I could add on later. I may want to attach a 20 gallon in the near future. So maybe I could plumb it to where both tanks feeds into the sump. Thanks for your input.

Wannabee

Bgcoop8784;1008452 wrote: I might overkill everything, but the best way I've found to plumb my systems, is to add a union about 3 inches after any 90 that I have. It's easy to add unions after you plumb everything in also, as long as you can get to the pipe to cut it. My last tank I plumbed everything with slip fittings (because I was in a hurry), and then went back and used my pvc cutters to cut the pipe and add a union everywhere I thought I might need one later that week. Might not be the best way, but it worked for me.
I don't think there is such a thing as "overkill" when it comes to housing tankmates. Thanks for your insight. I'm glad I'm pre-planning using a pencil, easy to update the changes in the process of planning.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;1008446 wrote: Any chance of getting a few snapshots if possible? I'm starting with a 29 gallon, but that's a great idea if I could design it to where I could add on later. I may want to attach a 20 gallon in the near future. So maybe I could plumb it to where both tanks feeds into the sump. Thanks for your input.

Wannabee

Started with this:
1008460=58700-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421373971.109261.jpg
>
1008460=58700-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421373971.109261.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421373971.109261.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Went to this:
1008460=58701-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421373991.612900.jpg
>
1008460=58701-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421373991.612900.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421373991.612900.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Somehow ended up here:
1008460=58702-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374016.162316.jpg
>
1008460=58702-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374016.162316.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374016.162316.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1008460=58703-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374030.741793.jpg
>
1008460=58703-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374030.741793.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374030.741793.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1008460=58704-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374045.704394.jpg
>
1008460=58704-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374045.704394.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421374045.704394.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

The basic return plumbing is intact from first tank and the more intricate plumbing with the chiller output going back and over the tank is still in place. I've really just had to unscrew unions or ball valves to add on with a chop here and a chop there. The more "difficult" plumbing has never really been touched.

Adding two more tanks to the setup so I'll be curious how this all ends up. As you can see, I'm the last guy to get advice from in wire management. ;)

Bgcoop8784;1008468 wrote: I'm just happy to see that someone else has the same spider web of wires and plumbing as me

Lol! I'm happy to know I'm not alone... Now mine's in the basement so doesn't really matter but I see some of these setups and marvel at the amount of OCD that goes into wire management especially. I felt I had to mount my apex stuff on the underside for safety so that's a major part of the mess.

I designed my stand partially around having room for wire management. LOL

Bgcoop8784;1008476 wrote: Ha, atleast you have an excuse....I just get new stuff and want to hook it up, and I keep telling myself I'll come back and organize the wires later...but then i decide I'm too lazy.

That's pretty much my story haha

Bgcoop8784;1010117 wrote: Just plumb it...:tongue:
That's the best advice I've received all week. Oh wait, maybe it's all year. On a second note; Your not related to our new President? Are you?

Wannabee

Bgcoop8784;1008457 wrote: Just remember to always leave a couple inches of extra pipe in between any expensive fittings, lol. That way if you have to cut the pipe, you can always glue in a coupling and save that fitting.

This IS excellent advise! It's saved me several times!

Back