Plumbing Glue?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
The folks at Ace got me set up with the pieces I need to reduce my overflow and return down to one inch. Two pieces simply slide together, is there a safe pvc glue to use to make sure they stay together?

Any PVC glue will work fine. I use the clear stuff. Basically the glue melts the PVC together. Without it, it will leak and will come apart. And don't use superglue or anything silly like that. Just plain ole PVC glue works fine and is perfectly safe.

Use either heavy duty PVC glue or the blue PVC glue.

I find the regular thin stuff doesnt make a very good seal unless you can twist the pipe before it sets.

PVC glue alone will not suffice if it is under pressure. You must first use the primer and then the PVC glue.

rdnelson99;885876 wrote: PVC glue alone will not suffice if it is under pressure. You must first use the primer and then the PVC glue.

+1 and I usually give mine 24 hours to cure before running water through it

Got the primer too! No problem with the 24 hour part. I will only get it filled to the overflow today.

rdnelson99;885876 wrote: PVC glue alone will not suffice if it is under pressure. You must first use the primer and then the PVC glue.

Not really, the pressure youre thinking of is WAAAAY higher then anything you will see in this hobby. I just use the HD glue and never had an issue

Clay4AU;885878 wrote: +1 and I usually give mine 24 hours to cure before running water through it

and nope. You can put water to it after 15 min, no issues to the glue or livestock.

enderg60;885880 wrote: not really, the pressure youre thinking of is waaaay higher then anything you will see in this hobby. I just use the hd glue and never had an issue

and nope. You can put water to it after 15 min, no issues to the glue or livestock.

+1

I'd always rather be safe than sorry with the waiting. Someone new to plumbing could use excessive amounts of glue that could push a glob into the pipe that could be too thick to dry in 15 minutes.

I've done it after an hour but I made sure the smell was gone and ran normal water through it for a few minutes first.

globs wont go through the system, they will flatten out inside the pipe and cure. And if you drop it in the tank water it will just form a skin at the surface you can easily remove.

sounds like a lot of hassle when all that's needed is a little patience, but to each his own.

New pipe. Wet n dry glue with no primer. All I have ever used. I have installed several dozen sprinkler systems and zero call backs.

If a repair only then I use primer. Then I use wet n dry.

Either case I only let the pipes set up for 10 minutes or so.

EnderG60;885880 wrote: Not really, the pressure youre thinking of is WAAAAY higher then anything you will see in this hobby. I just use the HD glue and never had an issue

Yes, we are not using high pressure and in most cases you would not have a leak but in my opinion, Ensuring I don't have a leak is worth the extra effort. :D

Edit:
EnderG60;885880 wrote:

I do think that if you had a glob it would take longer than 15 min to set up all the way through but in my opinion the likelihood of a glob is pretty slim. I have pressurized water lines within a few minutes of gluing with no problems at all.

Back