Plumbing help needed in Peachtree City!

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
Hey ARC

So I'm trying to build my 120g and just picked up a 30g tank I'm converting into a sump and a Mag 7 pump. The tank has two overflows and two returns. I need to start plumbing this, but am completely retarded on how to do this correctly.

I need to do this right so I don't cause a leak and ruin our floors. Anyone on the south side of town available to come by and help me plumb this system?

Should I go ahead and pick up a few gate valves online before, or does home depot sell these?

Thanks!
Mike

Nope. I picked up a 36"x12"x16" tank this week but haven't gotten the baffles in place yet. I was planning on doing that tomorrow, and then starting on the plumbing work on Sunday.

you need to give the silcone a couple days to setup in sump before adding water ,because the baffles will leak if silcone has not dried all the way IMO.

also if your gonna use in sump skimmer add about inch or 2 to skimmer section for upgrade you'll need that another learned mistake.

24 hours and it will be cured, no problem. You can buy the silicone at any hardware store like Lowe's or Home Depot.

So here's a basic drawing...

Questions:
How high should I make the baffles in the sump?

Should I have one overflow coming into the fuge, and the second going into the skimmer section?
If they both go into the skimmer section, how is water going to make it over the 12" baffle into the fuge?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesvoboda/3533751632/sizes/o/" alt="" />
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/344069=16941-sump design.jpg>
344069=16941-sump design.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump design.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

You should use ball valves instead of gates cause they increase head pressure.

Thanks Brett for the suggestions. Here's an updated diagram with the added union on the Mag7 and the extra gate valve above the fuge. I also put unions on the returns
<legend> Attached files </legend>
344082=16942-sump design.jpg
>
344082=16942-sump design.jpg
class="gc-images" title="sump design.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Erf. Updated image.
344086=16943-sump design.jpg
>
344086=16943-sump design.jpg

Thanks Brett for the suggestions. Here's an updated diagram with the added union on the Mag7 and the extra gate valve above the fuge. I also put unions on the returns.

Which part of the PVC piping here should I use the "flex" PVC? On the overflows, returns, or both?
344089=16944-sump design.jpg
>
344089=16944-sump design.jpg

on mine i have a 7 inch sock with dual overflow pipes and i ran the overflow on right side all the way to skimmer section and put in t with ball valve at fuge that way water would not back up just my thought

Cool suggestion Gary. Is this kind of what you mean? Updated diagram with the T / ball valve going into the fuge and forking off into the skimmer section.
344101=16945-sump design.jpg
>
344101=16945-sump design.jpg

yep thats the way I did it .I didn't wanna take chance it getting clogged with snail,fish ,..etc.I also use all 1 inch pipe and 1/2 inch for fuge at the end on the 1/2 in fuge i added a spraybar to help keep cheato turning a little .But that will be up to you.

Neat. Gary, where did you pick up the spraybar from? Updated diagram with baffle height, spraybar.
344119=16946-sump design.jpg
>
344119=16946-sump design.jpg

oh just take a piece of pvc pipe drill small holes across it and cap off the other end.it was posted on another thread i can't find it right this second.

phoenix if you need some help let me know, i live in ptc also. i am starting the stand for my 185 that came in yesterday this weekend but will help if you need it.

jt955: Nice! PTC reefers! I'll try giving this a shot. If things go for the worse, I'll ping you.

ZDaytonaRoadster;344719 wrote: if you need an extra set of hands, i can help, i'm in the hampton/griffin area not to far,

Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know!

Back