Plumbing in UV Sterilizer

oldedb

Market
Reaction score
I have a 40W Aqua UV filter for roughly 180 total gallons in the system. Most of the installation instructions say that plumbing after the filtration and into the return line are best. I am looking for suggestions on where to plumb it in to my system. I have a basement sump room that will support a 120G display tank that will sit in an office above the sump room. There will be a 30G frag tank in the sump room. My pump is a Reeflo Hammerhead and I would prefer to run the UV filter off of that pump. My return line branches shortly after exiting the pump and runs roughly 7'over to the frag tank. I could easily plumb in on this run. Because I don't need a ton of flow to the frag tank, I would probably plumb the UV inline so the return flows through the UV and directly in to the frag tank. OR I could plumb verticaly on the run up to the DT. If I did that then I would probably want to T off of the return line and then T back in so that I didn't have all of the flow running through the UV. If plumbing vertically wasn't a good idea, I could plumb horizontally in the stand under the DT (but I would like to avoid having this up stairs under the tank.) Finally, I could plumb in to the sump with a manifold or I could run a dedicated pump if I had to. In all instances I would use ball valves and unions for flow control and servicing.

I have read the installation suggestions from both Aqua and Emperor and all of the options are referenced in one or both manuals.

Thanks!

Mine is plumbed inline with a valve to REALLY slow down the flow to UV. Think you have the right idea but flow control is import there

I suggest "T"ing it off your return going back to the DT and use GATE valves for you flow control on it. It allows you flexibility to use a larger UV down the road and crank up the flow.
I say that because I started with an Aqua 40w UV on my ~200TWV system and ended up going larger.

You can also keep it independent feeding it with a small submersible pump pulling from the skimmer section of the sump, with the water returning to the return section of the sump. I do this with my 150 watt UV on my 465. Put a ball/gate valve on the pump output and you have flow control.

Back