Plumbing Issue - ID and education needed

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I purchased a Marineland 90 with corner overflow (to replace the one I broke Sunday) and the plumbing is a bit different. I have installed the return and overflow pipes and they are

I am including a photo of the old piece. The area above the car key is exactly like what I have now. The area below the key is not on the new set up and it is what I need to connect the one inch lines to and from the sump.

Please educate me. I have no idea what the pieces are that I need to search for.

Sorry for the sideways picture, the key should be on the right of the picture.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
885698=47061-image.jpg
>
885698=47061-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

It just looks like a barb fitting going into your 1" bulkhead. You can either reuse a "barbed' fitting or you can hard pipe it (but if you hard pipe it, I think anyone will recommend that you use unions on both the supply and return side).

Edit: The piece between the threaded bulkhead and barb fitting looks to be a "reducer" of some sort. Hope this helps!

Exactly, a reducer. Are those common to lfs or is it a plumbing store thing? I would like to stay with the same types of lines the used set up had. Thanks for the reply.

heathlindner25;885707 wrote: Ace hardware

+1 Or you can go to HD or Lowes. I find lowes has a better plumbing section. Just bring that with you. If you have the new bulkhead carry that and fit the proper reducer and then test the barb fitting.

Is the inside of the bulkhead you have now smooth or are there threads in it?

The inside is smooth I believe. It is attached at the moment but I plan to take it off in the morning to take with me.

The bulkhead in your picture was a smooth inside it looks like (from the PVC glue on the side). You can get a threaded female bulkhead if u like those and a male threaded barb fitting. Your return is just gravity so you don't have to get too carried away! Lowes has ALOT better pricing on the hose as well. You could just get the 1 1/4" OD hose and put it over the bulkhead fitting and let her rip! Just secure it w/a couple of zip ties or a nylon hose clamp (not the steel ones) and you good to go!

Mine broke just like that forn a used unit I bought. Those are OEM with the built in barb , I never found the bulk head at any supply store around me, maybe a hardware. Carry it to a LFS sponsor, they have what you need, maybe call first. look at some examples.
Take out the other fitting also. They should both be inspected while your at it.

Thanks guys, the folks at Ace got me reduced down. Hopefully I can finish filling the new tank today and stop posting a million threads.

Back