Plumbing Q - tap into waste line.

mitchelliii

Market
Reaction score
What do I need to consider before drilling taps into a 3 in plumbing (waste) line for RO waste and skimmate lines to feed into?

Obviously I don't want any return air etc.

Best,

If you're going to do that, I'd put a Y junction in so that your taps come in at an angle and don't interfere with the clean downward flow. Remember that the pipe will carry all things solid and liquid that come out of your house so anything protruding/tapping into that area will potentially accumulate debris and eventually could cause a clog.

You should also consider a trap to prevent the flies from coming up, especially after your yummy skimmate.

Unless you're dead set on doing it, I'd say there are better options such as using the existing drain from a clothes washer or even shunting the waste RO water out to your garden/lawn.

George;40547 wrote: If you're going to do that, I'd put a Y junction in so that your taps come in at an angle and don't interfere with the clean downward flow. Remember that the pipe will carry all things solid and liquid that come out of your house so anything protruding/tapping into that area will potentially accumulate debris and eventually could cause a clog.

You should also consider a trap to prevent the flies from coming up, especially after your yummy skimmate.

Unless you're dead set on doing it, I'd say there are better options such as using the existing drain from a clothes washer or even shunting the waste RO water out to your garden/lawn.

I agree with George here. I say we tap into your stubbed 1/2 sink that is just next door for the time being. Less problems there and I will tell you what, you are not going to call my butt over if/when you drill into that main line, you are on your own there bud! :yuk:

I run mine out to the pool, with it being so dry it helps keep the level up.

Back