Plumbing question. Help me make it stop

scottw

CoralsbyDesign.com
Sponsor
Supporting
Reaction score
Never had this before in the 15+ years off being in the hobby.

reeftechie
alt="" /></a>"]
reeftechie
alt="" /></a>[/URL]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

The water level in the overflow is rapidly falling and rasing a good 6 inches up and down

leveldrummer;896146 wrote: what type of drain pipe is it? sounds liek your getting full syphon and its sucking all the water out till it reaches air and breaks, then rinse repeat over and over right?

Durso. And you are correct. Fills drains. Fills drains. Sounds like a flushing toilet. Killing me. I've setup multiple tanks and never seen this.

I've tried to reduce the flow of the return pump, then it's just too much and the noise is insane, then the other option is this.

Ringo®;896153 wrote: What size return pump and tank?

Mag 9, but I can reduce to a mag 2 with a turn of the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it stop switching water levels with it dialed down? Are you running a manifold or just a inline ball valve?

Never had that style return but.... Isn't there an air intake at the top of those returns? If so, is it plugged? That would cause a full siphon.

I am going on a cruise.....on my lawnmower around my yard.

rdnelson99;896185 wrote: Never had that style return but.... Isn't there an air intake at the top of those returns? If so, is it plugged? That would cause a full siphon.

I am going on a cruise.....on my lawnmower around my yard.

+1

I do have this style return. The air intake at the top of the return pipe is clogged... Probably salt creep. Run a wire, straightened paper clip, or toothpick through the hole to clear it.

First: Is the drain hose/tube under the tank, to the sump, going straight down? Or if it's flex hose, does it "S" (like a p-trap under a sink). If there's an up-hill spot on the drain hose, make it all go downhill only. Even if it's not straight up and down... as long as it goes down without an 'up', it shouldn't slow down the water flow.

Second: Is the drain output below the water line in the sump? If so, raise it above the water line just a bit, or cut slats/holes just above the water line. Draining below the water line causes back-pressure and the draining water slows down, until the water above in the overflow box/plumbing is heavy enough to push past the resistance created by the back-pressure.

Third: If the above isn't the cause, try widening the vent hole on top of the Durso. If it doesn't get enough air through the vent hole, it will 'flush' like that.

Fourth: If none of the above works, try valving back the pump a little bit.

Jenn

I had the exact same problem. The ball valve slowed down the toilet flushing, but didn't stop the effect. I made sure the air vent on top of the stack was clear and drilled another hole next to it. That allowed more air into the pipe and stopped the toilet flushing effect. If that doesn't resolve the issue completely drill the hole large enough to add tubing with an air valve at the top. You can play around with how far you slide the tube down the pipe and how much air will get in. Hope this helps.

the tubing in the top needs to go inside of the elbow past the water to break to waterflow up say at least 1 to 2 inches. the water hugs the side walls until it turns into a full siphon and then flushes. the drain tube needs to be no more then one inch under the sump water level due to back pressure as stated.

i have added a "Y" at the sump before to allow the water to drain and the add a place for the pipe to vent and their controls some of the sound. sometimes water coming into the sump at a slight angle does better then straight down so it does not slap the water plane.

Thank you everyone, I am going to try the suggestion here this am. I will post back up, thank you for the quick replies to say the least!

Back