Plumbing question

mcphock

Market
Reaction score
I need help.

Plumbing is probably my weakest area in the hobby, and I'm having what is (probably) an easy issue to fix.

I've got a 120 with two corner overflows. Each over goes down to the sump, through the sump, and back up to the tank via a single return line that T junctions into two. Each return line divides further into two loc-line spouts.

This has been configured this way for 4 years. About 2 months ago, the tank start 'whistling' on occasion, as though there were a breeze going down a small alleyway between two buildings. I also noticed that the sump would overflow when the return pump was turned off. Both problems started around the same time and were completely new. Thinking this was a siphon problem, I moved one of the loc-lines much high so it'll "break" sooner when the return pump is off. This solved the flood problem, but I'm still getting whistling. I'm sure they're both related.

Any idea what might be going on here?

Check the little air vent at the top of the drain in the overflow and see if it's clogged, check the pump and make sure impeller blades are not broke.

If you don't have a check valve on the return water will run back down, and the whistling would be on you drain line, might just need cleaning.

Good point on the air vent. It was the first thing I checked. Both intakes are clear.

Why do you suspect the pump?

If you have broken blades on the impeller it would run but not be pushing all the water up.
Is the pump pushing good when running?

McPhock;960887 wrote: The pump is pushing just dandy.
We'll then that puts all the blame on the drain lines, is the noise coming from one side or both?

It's coming from the right overflow. When I hold finger over the air vent on the drain, it continues to make the noise with no change to pitch or intensity.

Removing plumbing is a scary proposition for me. Anything I replace never seems to sit right... leaks... etc.

I would take the right side out and check for cracks in the pipe, fittings, snails, sponge growth, something.
If the drain can pull out of the bulk head,I'd do that and leave the system running.
Inspect it and see what you come up with.

The return lines in the tank (the loc-lines) usually have a small hole in them to prevent them from creating a siphon once the tank drains below the holes. These holes are usually pretty small, therefore clog easily. You can use a paper clip or drill bit to clean them out. Vinegar bath for all plumbing wouldn't be a bad idea though.

ghbrewer;960909 wrote: The return lines in the tank (the loc-lines) usually have a small hole in them to prevent them from creating a siphon once the tank drains below the holes. These holes are usually pretty small, therefore clog easily. You can use a paper clip or drill bit to clean them out. Vinegar bath for all plumbing wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Interesting. Where might I find this hole?

Usually underneath the loc-line or the fitting b4 it. Almost always faces down, so it doesn't spray water everywhere when you turn your return pump on.

You'll have to feel for it most likely. Usually around 1/8" in diameter.

I drain water below the loc-lines during a water change, and I've never noticed a small jet from the underside during the refill. Maybe's its been clogged for a long time then. I think the loc-line portion actually screws into the return pipe, but I'm so petrified of torqueing the pipe and created a small leak that I'd almost just rather listen to it whistle... :/

In that case, it might be located on a fitting prior (i.e. elbow or tee, but shouldn't be on any vertical piping), possibly inside of the overflow box (not uncommon). May or may not have one, but figured I would bring it to your attention.

Given that it started happening two or so months ago, and I had to move the loc-line upwards to prevent my sump from overflowing, symptoms do seem to point to a clog of some kind, somewhere.

Good collective thinking, all

I went and bought a plumbing snake. I only use it for tank cleaning, not household. don't want that crap in my tank... LOL

The siphon break hole is on the 90-degree elbow on top of the PVC that attaches to the Loc-Line. If that clogs up, and power to the pump shuts, off, the return line will back-siphon and overflow the sump - which it sounds like you've been experiencing.

Here's a picture of an elbow. The left side has threads that connect to your Loc-Line. The right side is the slip end that sits on the vertical return pipe. Take a toothpick or a straightened paperclip and reach in and poke around until you find that hole - right in the spot I have the arrow pointing too. Chances are it has some schmutz in it.

Those little holes are extremely important but frequently overlooked. They should be cleaned out periodically as routine maintenance.

Jenn
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
961219=54360-ELBOWSLIPFIPT.jpg
>
961219=54360-ELBOWSLIPFIPT.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ELBOWSLIPFIPT.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

There was still water coming out, but it seemed to be fairly clogged. That did the trick!

Thank you so much all :)

Back