Plumbing through the floor

anthony

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking about setting up a wet room in my basement and just plumbing through floor to my tank above. Was wanting to hear from people who have done the same. Maybe the pros and cons and any issues or suggestions?

We never had any issues when we had our sump downstairs. Just remember to do a lot of simulated power outages. Also run the pipes through the wall, don't cut a hole in your floor

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Hi Anthony, I have done this and if you want to come take a look at my plumbing you can. I live off hwy 20 between Canton and Cumming.

Some recommendations:
1) Agree with Myvwrock about the cutting into wall board and running pipes through down the wall. had to get a pretty industrial strength hole saw to get through some wall supports, if I had to do this again I would build in some additional support at this point to make up for how I structurally weakened the wall, especially as I consider putting a bigger tank upstairs
2) Don't underestimate what you need for plumbing down and up. I built one large drain line and two return lines. I would recommend at least two drain lines and one return line. ( I have since converted on of my return lines to a second drain line.)
3) Put your gate valve for your drain line downstairs, otherwise you will get a waterfall effect upstairs where you probably wanted it quiet
4) If you are controller guy, like me you might consider a pipe big enough to run wiring to the tank, your powerheads, lights are going to be upstairs, if you wanted a hard line to your controller you need a way to get there
5) In planning your sump arrangement you might consider a secondary return holding tank instead of relying on a typical sump to take all of the backflow from the piping. There is a lot more water involved in these cases and having capacity to take the extra water in the case of power outage myvwrock mentions above is important in the design element. Don't rely on any
6) Think through the plumbing disconnects at the wall that allow for future change without having to cut and glue.
7) Be sure to plan for enough capacity to support a future tank upgrade unless you are really sure you are where you want to be.

Good luck.

Hi Anthony, I have done this and if you want to come take a look at my plumbing you can. I live off hwy 20 between Canton and Cumming.

Some recommendations:
1) Agree with Myvwrock about the cutting into wall board and running pipes through down the wall. had to get a pretty industrial strength hole saw to get through some wall supports, if I had to do this again I would build in some additional support at this point to make up for how I structurally weakened the wall, especially as I consider putting a bigger tank upstairs
2) Don't underestimate what you need for plumbing down and up. I built one large drain line and two return lines. I would recommend at least two drain lines and one return line. ( I have since converted on of my return lines to a second drain line.)
3) Put your gate valve for your drain line downstairs, otherwise you will get a waterfall effect upstairs where you probably wanted it quiet
4) If you are controller guy, like me you might consider a pipe big enough to run wiring to the tank, your powerheads, lights are going to be upstairs, if you wanted a hard line to your controller you need a way to get there
5) In planning your sump arrangement you might consider a secondary return holding tank instead of relying on a typical sump to take all of the backflow from the piping. There is a lot more water involved in these cases and having capacity to take the extra water in the case of power outage myvwrock mentions above is important in the design element. Don't rely on any
6) Think through the plumbing disconnects at the wall that allow for future change without having to cut and glue.
7) Be sure to plan for enough capacity to support a future tank upgrade unless you are really sure you are where you want to be.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply Awarnick... I'm definitely interested in checking it out if you have time.. the way I was going to do it was straight through the floor to eliminate angles.. but it's starting to sound like that's a bad idea..

We never had any issues when we had our sump downstairs. Just remember to do a lot of simulated power outages. Also run the pipes through the wall, don't cut a hole in your floor

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply.. I'm definitely going to put a lot more thought into it and plan it well before execution...

I have my sump room in the basement. Best reefing/tank maintenance decision EVER.

I will echo the previous statements above, go through the wall, not the floor. If you have a basic understanding of plumbing, it's not that hard to do.

Back