Plumbing UV sterilizer

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Never used on before, but considering it. How do you guys plumb yours? I was thinking about doing it inline with the return, but I don't want a lot of back flow out of it to the sump in case of return pump outage . Check valve?

Well, I dont have one yet, but I'd do a 40W. So I could in all actuality branch it off of the return. Even better.

Is it recommended to run one on a reef tank?

I just got a small rio pump and placed the sterilizer higher than my tank. As for connecting it just took some plastic tubing. It was good cause i installed it they day my regal got ick and two days later he was fine.

yeah that is true my aiptasia has stopped since i added it. Had not really noticed it until you brought that up.

dawgdude;184866 wrote: I am going to run one for ich and aiptasia. They spread through the water column apparently because they are popping up all over the place and when I had my UV running I didnt have ANY.

How are you planning on supplying it?

I am trying to plan my plumbing to reduce the need for multiple pumps, and eliminate anything from hving to tap into the return.. I'm hoping to run my carbon chamber, GFO chamber, and possibly UV off of it by branching off the drain. I'd love to run the skimmer off of it too (ASM g2) but I don't think the GPH will be enough.

I don't know how you would do it but you could figure out the out but you could connect them together from what needs the highest GPH to the lowest.

dawgdude;184876 wrote: I am going to supply it and a GFO reactor with a MJ 600

So is the flowrate of the GFO and the UV about the same requirement?

I just bought a 36w corallife uv yesterday and im thinking of using a MJ400 will that work or will it be too slow? I also have a MJ1200

ace1204;184945 wrote: I just bought a 36w corallife uv yesterday and im thinking of using a MJ400 will that work or will it be too slow? I also have a MJ1200

Any UV should have flow recommendations with the instruction manual.
Dave

Back