Plumbing

tinmanunited

Market
Reaction score
Hey, need some help with a plumbing issue.

I recently purchased a snapper/dart pump with the 2" inlet/1.5" outlet. I am using this pump for a closed loop system on my tank, i had the manufacturer drill holes for the closed loop, 1x1" inlet, and 4x3/4" returns. I am also running an oceans motions oscillating pump, which provides flow alternatively between two of the returns. The oscillating pump has a 1.5" inlet and 4x1" outlets which i have to reduce to accommodate the 3/4" bulkheads going into the tank. Does it make sense that the oscillating pump is providing a combined 1.5" of flow back into the tank, which is more than the 1" I have coming from the tank? Should I increase the inlet from the tank to a 1.5" strainer? As the reeflo site suggests that the inlet pipe be equal to or larger than the discharge, to prevent cavitation.

Thanks

If you restrict the drain to 1", you will be limiting the flow to only that which can pass through the 1" pipe. Even if you open it up later on, it will still be restricted by the 1" drain...

Edit: If you can open the drain to 1.5", I would.

Good deal. Also, I'm sure you probably have got this covered, but be sure to appropriately place valves and unions for easy plumbing and access.

Edit: I hear that those ocean motions can be a pain if they clog and are not easy to access.

Got you covered, I'm using true union ball valves on all four returns, as well as a valve in between OM and the pump, to valve back the pump should I need to.

Good man! Getting proper equipment makes this stuff SOO much easier if/when a problem arrises.

i dont know this but i would think the exit part would need to be the same size or smaller. cavitation is from not having enough volume in or coming to the pump and on the exit side it has already left the pump.

i ran 1-1/2" to my pump and came out with 1" and the pump is 1" in and out.

but i know on my mag 9.5 it has a 3/4" in and out but in the small print on the paperwork it says to get the proper flow you need to run 1-1/2" return pipes

Back