Plumbing

jefft

Market
Reaction score
I just installed plumbing for my sump and return. How long should I wait for the cement to dry/cure before using it in my tank? I'm not talking about strength of the connection, but the toxins if any from the cement.

Doesn't anyone know? I see a lot of lookers, but I have these pipes in my tank waiting to turn on. I've been reading everything I can find, but need someone with experience to let me know what they did.

Yes, wait 24hrs before using. Basically, if it still smells like PVC glue, don't use it. Wait a bit more after that.

jeff i've used piping 5 minutes after i've glued with pvc...on the chiller i just plumbed into the tank i waited 1 hour, because i needed to cool the tank quick .never had a problem with it, but then again i always used carbon in the tank.. but i agree i guess you should wait 24 hours to cure...but never had a leak or bad results when i didnt...

I glued my pipes and when it was tight I walked in and used them with out any problems at all. Not a recommendation but what I did.

I waited 4 hours fired it up and its doing fine. No leaks, runs or errors. Took a few tries adjusting valves to get the flow correct. So now I'm running a 30g with 40lbs of lr. HOB overflow to a Mini-G (ASA) skimmer in a 20gal tall with a ref that has a 6inch sandbed and 20lbs of live rock. Back to the tank through a GenX 5 pump. Also installed a fishbowl inovation moon light system in my canopy (Moon Controller is a microprocesser based digital dimmer and moon cycle timer). Put a Reefkeeper2 on the other day, its working fine. Now as long as my wife doesn't read this I'll be fine.:ahh:< < Jeff's wife when she finds out! :eek: << Jeff when he hears she found out!:confused2:

Must have won the lottery. sounds real nice and I take it your the one on the left LOL

The active ingreidient in this glue is very toxic........recommend you bring me all corals, fish, sand and rock ASAP. Just chalk it up to lesson learned.

I'll be up until you arrive!

slayer77;72203 wrote: jeff i've used piping 5 minutes after i've glued with pvc...on the chiller i just plumbed into the tank i waited 1 hour, because i needed to cool the tank quick .never had a problem with it, but then again i always used carbon in the tank.. but i agree i guess you should wait 24 hours to cure...but never had a leak or bad results when i didnt...

I am just like Jamie on the patience game. Just do it and fix it with carbon if you need it done fast. I let it sit for a few mins, blow some air through the pipe to get the fumes out and install it in the tank.

If you have good water volume and just two or three cemented joints, conjunction with liberal dose of carbon; you will be a-o-k

PVC glue will hold in less than a few seconds, and leaks would be almost impossible if you can't pull the joint off or move it around.

BUT, if it's not extremely urgent then I would suggest let it sit for the night. Just run alot of water through the pipe when you wake up to be safe.

Seedless Reefer;72289 wrote: The active ingreidient in this glue is very toxic........recommend you bring me all corals, fish, sand and rock ASAP. Just chalk it up to lesson learned.

I'll be up until you arrive!

I drove around for hours couldn't find your place so I dropped everything off at Linda Lee's. lol

roundman;72234 wrote: Must have won the lottery. sounds real nice and I take it your the one on the left LOL

I'm retired working PT at BassPro and the PT money is my hobby money. Yes I'm the purdy one on the left.

Back