Plywood tank, anyone built one?

db366

Reaction score
I am thinking of building one. I have done a lot of reading on it and I think it sounds like a fun project. I have some extra glass laying around, I'd need to go get one piece cut to have three sides. I was thinking of doing something small to start out with, 21x21x21 cube. Maybe a bit larger.

My friend made one. Looked like t total crap. But it held water for about 6 months. Then the epoxy split and flooded his house.

Here is a link for one over 200 gallons.
a>

Yea, there are entire forums based around plywood tanks. I am either going to do fiberglass on the inside or use Liquid rubber. I have seen some pictures of some really nice looking ones. I think it's one of those things that you really have to do right to end up with a nice looking end result.

You can allways build a glass one for around the same amount as plywood

I have looked into buying glass to build my own, it is quite expensive. I should be able to do tank/stand/canopy for around 150. I already have a lot of the stuff needed and have sourced out the rest.

db366;773323 wrote: I have looked into buying glass to build my own, it is quite expensive. I should be able to do tank/stand/canopy for around 150. I already have a lot of the stuff needed and have sourced out the rest.

Would be a cool build to see...lots of pictures and a build thread please! :)

db366;773229 wrote: I think it's one of those things that you really have to do right to end up with a nice looking end result.

And in the end, one you've done that you will likely exceed the cost of buying a manufactured acrylic or glass tank.

Unless of course you have a ton of stuff laying around that you can use, including all the tools you might need.

I like the idea. I actually thought of making a similar tank as a coffee table and put a shark in it, only all the sides would be wood with a top glass panel. Or putting one in a wall with only one pane of glass (sorta like public aquariums on a smaller scale). I agree with the others that cost analysis should be considered.

<p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">I personally would not do it. </span></span>

<p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">20 years ago I had drawn out building an 8x3x3 in the wall and started having kids so we used it as a bedroom… go figure. But I have been watching some other builds on RC and its very labor intense and somewhat costly. Are you only going to have 1 side viewing? My design was going to be glass lined plywood. As at that time I could get plywood for free from other shipments to where I use to work. Which I used later for a room addition to the house. I was going to rubber coat the plywood and then use a thinner glass say ¼ for the bottom and 3 sides.</span></span>

<p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">I think I would do glass or </span></span><span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">acrylic. When I was LQQKing at building my own 120 I was getting quotes around 550 for glass and 350 for acrylic with dressed edges ready for gluing. I then decided on the 150 but I found a used 120 so that’s what I went with. </span></span>

<p style="text-align:left"><span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Wish you luck but after seeing the others I did not like the LQQKS or not being able to see through the sides. A LFS had a huge tank that was flush on the wall and it LQQK like a Harry Potter picture because things were moving but it just did not have the depth perspective and it just did not LQQK that big from the room but it stuck off the wall like 6 feet so you know it was there but…</span></span>

1- 4x8 sheet 3/4 Oak Plywood
2 - Silicone
1 - Wood Glue
2 lbs - Screws
1 gallon Liquids Rubber

Comes out to around $145 and should have enough left over for a stand. I will have to buy more for a canopy. I figure since I have the glass already sitting here it's worth a shot.

Here is some of the stuff I have read/watched while gathering info..

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/12/aafeature">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/12/aafeature</a>
<div class="gc_ifarem_title">HOW TO: Plywood Aquarium - YouTube</div>

As well as just about every other thread on diyfishkeepers.com

I figure since it's the first time doing something like this the total cost will be more around $200. I just need to find someone to cut 3/8in glass for me. I just need one cut, the other two are good to go.

I hope to finally start this one soon
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
773518=37782-TANK-1.jpg
>
773518=37782-TANK-1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="TANK-1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

grouper therapy;773518 wrote: I hope to finally start this one soon

I have been waiting for this thread to re-appear... Weren't you planning this and then got a bunch of new shop toys?

CJ

db366;773558 wrote: How far into planning have you gotten? What kind of epoxy were you planning on using?
I was actually going to use a product that is a 2 part epoxy made by Sweet Water or a Sherwin Williams product called Tankclad I think. I plan on incorporating fiberglass as well.

Cjsparky;773532 wrote: I have been waiting for this thread to re-appear... Weren't you planning this and then got a bunch of new shop toys?

CJ
Yep. Trying to decide on the shop area. Aquarium or Tools:confused2:

honestly the cash saved by making your own........

id rather pay the extra $ for the peace of mind.

B

SnowManSnow;773654 wrote: honestly the cash saved by making your own........

id rather pay the extra $ for the peace of mind.

B

x2. However to do like seeing DIY builds!!!

Back