Pods boost needed?

thewarbrd

Market
Reaction score
Been running about a month now, 75g, 150lbs LR, 100lbs sand. I added a red scooter blenny and want to make sure he has enough to chow on. While I've actually seen a few pods roaming around on the rock and he's making waste I've been debating picking up a bottle of pods to boost the the population just to make sure he's got all he needs. Would it be a waste of money or a wise move? Seeing suppliers on ebay for $40 for '5,000' down to $14 for '500'...

You can pick up 2,500-5,000 count bottles for about $25 at saltwater city

I'm in Athens, SWC is about $30 in gas and 3 hour round trip away from me. :( As much as I want to support our sponsors (I did try to buy some the other day when I was in Atl but they were out) buying online usually saves me money in the end.

you need a fuge. Also, buy dome pods, but make sure u feed them with live phyto daily ( just a drop or two). Also, you can try hatching live brine shrimp with a 2 liter bottle of soda & one of those kits.

If you have a LFS that sells DT's Phytoplankton, dosing that can help up your pod population, if you don't want to start growing phyto.

However Mysterybox is right, the best solution to up the population is to use a refugium. Even a small one will provide a good boost.

Not to hijack this thread, but I do have a question. Would there be any benefit in having two refugiums and switching back and forth every 2 to 3 months? Would this give the pod population time to grow and keep the tank full of the little buggers?

~S~

I have 2 fuges, but not for that reason. My main fuge is to remove nutrients & help with pods. I have a CPR hangon fuge that I use to strictly encourage pod populations. There is no pump that the pods have to pass through to get to the tank, and I dose live phyto & iron here.

The used system I bought has a wet/dry sump with a kent skimmer in it, so no real room for a fuge down there... I've looked at in-tank fuges but have doubts that one would do anything for my tank... Dosing phyto would help Zoas and feather dusters as well would it not? hmmm..

you can easily build a fuge/sump for cheap with a 29 gallon or do, baffles, & weldon.

Uhhh.....this may sound dumb but your tanks ben up for a month or finished cycling a month ago? My tank was up for nearly three months before i could actualy see pods on the glass and now a little while later the pod pop has exploded. Dossing pods may not do anything if they dont have time to get established. If you constantly buy pods in a bottle to feed your scooter than your going to spend a fortune. Defently try and set up a fuge so the pods will (hopefully) reproduce faster than the blenny can eat them.

There's certainly benefit from having a larger refugium, so having more than one running would provide benefit. I don't think you need to bother alternating them.

My LR came out of an established system, it's been in mine a month or so.

I guess I'm just a little confused on what a little 1.5" fish can eat off the bat and was assuming once 'seeded' from an external source that the population in the LR would reproduce and sustain itself going forward. Basically the entire 150lbs of rock being it's own fuge for the pod population.

scooters and mandarins are eating machines, but since your LR was previously in an established system i would think you would be ok. The LR would sortof be a refuge but every little bit helps. Unless your seeing a decline in pod pop or your scooter looks thin you should be ok, but picking up a bottle of pods would be a cheep insurance policy and a fuge would def help. How many pods do you normally see? Right now ive got hundreds on my glass, and even more in my rock work.

Thanks for the offer dawgdude, would love to see your set up at some point (have security at the door, I hear you have some killer zoas ;) ), perhaps we should set up an Athens Tour of Tanks :)

Anyway... I wasn't planning on a wet/dry when putting a parts list together to build my own setup but the system I ended up buying instead had one so I'm using it for the time being...

As far as how many I can see, I dont see any on glass at this point, and can see the larger variety on occasion on the rock, it's not like all surfaces are crawling with them right now. I think for now I'll throw in a pod dose to make sure he stays happy and start looking at fuge options.

Thanks all.

Back