Pods in frag tank

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So. My frag tank (soon to be tanks) is SUPER overloaded with pods. Like - when they lights come on the sides are COVERED in pods. What beneficial fish would you recommend for a frag tank (that currently doesn't have a lid - but will come this weekendish)? I know the first choice is a wrasse, but can I have several once I get a lid on it? What types of fish do you recommend?

Why is this a problem? You could get one of those pod hotels and move pods from your frag tank to your display.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
There are plenty in my display. Same sump system. I’ve got a manadarin in my main display. He eats them. And pellets. And frozen food :)

There are plenty in my display. Same sump system. I’ve got a manadarin in my main display. He eats them. And pellets. And frozen food :)
The awesome thing is that it's both isopods and copepods. So I know my tank is good - I just want to get something that will eat them and be happy in a frag tank. I *could* get another mandarin or a scooter blenny or something like that.

Depending on how the setup is and what kind of flow you could do something cool like a pipefish.

Depending on how the setup is and what kind of flow you could do something cool like a pipefish.

Hmm. It's a predominantly sps frag tank, so I think the flow would be a bit too much. I'd love one of those though - I might make the new one a higher flow tank and keep zoas/lps/softies in the other frag tank. A pipefish would work in that tank.

The crazy thing is, everywhere I go I see people with 6-line, cleaner, fairy... every wrassse known to man and known to jump. And they keep them in frag tanks that are 12 inches deep. They’re fat and happy.

Meanwhile, I have tank that I can’t touch the bottom of, and every species of fish I acquire ends up being the rare flying specimens.

Not sure how much flow you’re talking about; but pipefish aren’t necessarily a bad idea. Some species, like Dragonface pipefish, have half-decent swimming ability, much better than many other pipefish.

The crazy thing is, everywhere I go I see people with 6-line, cleaner, fairy... every wrassse known to man and known to jump. And they keep them in frag tanks that are 12 inches deep. They’re fat and happy.

Meanwhile, I have tank that I can’t touch the bottom of, and every species of fish I acquire ends up being the rare flying specimens.
Is there a bully in the tank? Possible they are jumping trying to get away.

Is there a bully in the tank? Possible they are jumping trying to get away.

This was before I added the Kole Tang, so I don’t believe so. Two clownfish and a blue-green chromes that hides in a cave most of the day.

I have a possum wrasse in my small frag tank with no top for a while now. Its the one fish that never jumped

I like the pod hotel idea.
I've never used them but I've heard good things

336e82a36d35a882cf453045c1a7e0e8.jpg

First of all, what's the size of the frag tank and is it connected to the whole system?

For me, when it comes to frag tanks, all the fish are utilitarian. They are selected with a job in mind. For algae. A Tomini Tang & some type of Blenny (Stary's are good) I like the Tomini's because they don't get too big and are a bristle that pecks all day long. For pests and pods Corris Wrasse and/or Melanrus Wrass. I haven't had a pipefish yet but they sound like a good idea too. They can get kinda long though, which could get tough on them to maneuver in a cramped frag tank over time.

I don't know if I'd add a Mandarin, especially if the frag is connected to the full system. Those excess pods will get blown into the display to keep the population up.

Maybe a mandarin or two?

My thoughts exactly. Most folks have a tough time keeping mandarin’s because they don’t have an established pod population. Sounds like you’ve got it covered, literally. Lol

D

I appreciate all of this input. I have a good pod population in my display. My mandarin eats well all day long.

I’m specifically looking for something to eat the pods in my frag tank. I think I’m just gonna wind up with a wrasse once I build a lid this weekend.

Back