Poison dart frog viv build

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
I picked up an exoterra 18" cube from Jesse (mystery_me) last week. It is going to house dart frogs. He had already installed a waterfall in the back of the tank (less work for me!). I picked up a piece of wood with nooks and crannies from my LFS in Athens. I plan on planting broms or an orchid on the wood.

Here is a picture with water running.

a0f84f5284a0d61b15a718a4b0b48a4a.jpg
alt="" />

Creation was nice enough to bring some stuff to the expo yesterday for me to move this along a bit. I got some false bottom and ABG mix.

Here is the false bottom installed.

34e7091825635eaa892bfb1c453d7503.jpg
alt="" />

I built a barrier with egg crate to hold the soil/substrate barrier in place. Then, I lined it with the barrier. I filled the water area with gravel to bring it up the the level of the soil.

4c4d133ccdecf8a8f2e9c6a0ddab5610.jpg
alt="" />

I added the ABG mix and then topped with forest moss.

ebc9224c7e51cb2312aa6c16eb1268bf.jpg
alt="" />

65a858074a9aa71145d6a1a3ef747f9d.jpg
alt="" />

I got these two plants from Creation at the expo. My light should be here this week so I'll start planting then.

df4b85f8ac27d70ac84375337350fdd9.jpg
alt="" />

I think I'm going to put aquarium plants in the two pools of the waterfall. I'm thinking anubias since they are pretty hardy and I've gotten them to flower in my aquarium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have to get those going. I was planning on ordering some online maybe this week. I need to get some leaf litter too. I'm thinking live oak since the tank is on the smaller side.

I used RODI for everything. I'm on well water here in Eatonton but I don't trust it for my tanks. I installed an RODI in the basement when we moved in for my reefs and I put a filter on the kitchen sink.

Looks awesome. I'm glad u could bring it back to life... I originally built this for dart frogs. Keep the pics coming

Got my lights. I went with a cheap led of amazon that got good reviews on the dart frog forums. $26 and it puts out some light.

afbb602cd09697de35bfd26bae327121.jpg
alt="" />

I have plants in pots in there right now so I can determine if these actually work. If they do, I'm considering trying them out on a freshwater tank. I saw a video of a guy using one on a 20L that had plants growing like weeds.

I was able to attend the expo but didn't know until the last minute. I brought some bug cultures for Marlon, the people at Creation and some for you, in case I bumped into you.

For plants, I've had some luck at using marginals in the 10 gallon (Crypts and Anubias) by keeping their feet wet. I need to rebuild and do more of a paludarium/river style. For now, though I think that I'll just add it to the huge stack of things I need to do.

Sewer Urchin;1080000 wrote: I was able to attend the expo but didn't know until the last minute. I brought some bug cultures for Marlon, the people at Creation and some for you, in case I bumped into you.

For plants, I've had some luck at using marginals in the 10 gallon (Crypts and Anubias) by keeping their feet wet. I need to rebuild and do more of a paludarium/river style. For now, though I think that I'll just add it to the huge stack of things I need to do.
I like the idea of anubias in the waterfall since I can attach them to a piece of wood or rock. Plus, the roots might end up trailing down to the gravel layer and I think it would look cool.

Thanks for thinking of me with the cultures. I was only at the expo for maybe an hour. I had to leave to pick up my sister in law who just spent the week with us.

Back