Polishing acrylic

ouling

Market
Reaction score
What is the best product, or way to get scratches out of acrylic? I'm talking about everything, inside and out.

I was going to wet sand and buff, does that work for acrylic?

er, no... I don't know that you can polish acrylic with anything reef safe, since what you normally do involves using a compound to fill the spaces, one that I can't imagine would be suitable for your tank or fuge, but then, I'm a bit paranoid about that kind of thing. the only thing I know of is the same stuff I use to polish CD's and DVD's I also use to polish minor scrapes and scratches on the acrylic side-panels on a computer case, and it works ok sometimes, the the scratch or scuff is shallow.

http://www.etr-inc.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2">http://www.etr-inc.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2</a>

Try that. It comes with a highly recommended from TRT

Also, Novus 1, 2, and 3 are generally the standard for reef-safe acrylic care. You can get them online and in some LFS's.

siege;38977 wrote: er, no... I don't know that you can polish acrylic with anything reef safe, since what you normally do involves using a compound to fill the spaces, one that I can't imagine would be suitable for your tank or fuge, but then, I'm a bit paranoid about that kind of thing.

Acrylic polishing works differently. Instead of using an actual polish, you use very fine sandpaper. Depending on the depth of the scratch, start at around 1000 grit and slowly work your way up to 12-15,000 grit (yes, 15 thousand). I've seen it demo'd several times and works well.

ouling, if you're looking to do an entire tank (with live reef or not), check out the Everclear company that Wolfie linked to- they have some relatively inexpensive tools for mechanical polishing and work even with a tank full of coral. Steve Shindell used this method on his 400 with good results (although paid to have it done).

Well this is a topic I'm intimately familiar with. I got my tank, stand, and hood which are all acrylic from craigslist for very little. The problem though is that the tank was scratched up like crazy. It's a little time consuming but not very hard to remove scratches from an empty tank. Just use sand paper of various grit sizes and keep working it in opposing directions with each successive grit size. I started with 600 grit and finished it with 4000 grit I think. The higher the number the more fine. I then used the novus 123 products to complete the procedure. Truth be told though... don't bother with the novus products, they're not nearly as effective as you would hope to think. In fact, even the novus 3 which is supposed to help remove deep scratches wouldn't make a dent in even the shallow scratches. It worked moderately alright for some hazed areas... but it wasn't worth the time to apply it. You just can't beat elbow grease and sandpaper.

You can get the sandpaper from autozone but I think advanced auto parts tends to have a better selection of the really fine stuff. However, I do recommend going with micromesh for removing scratches as it works REALLY well and I even use it in my reef tank on the inside of the tank. Yes it creates little microscopic shavings of acrylic that float around the tank... but I've done it on 3 occasions now and have removed scratches and abrasions from sand and rocks on the inside of the tank while it was full of life.... so far no problems and I would do it again if necessary :p.

Here's a link to where I got my mesh from:
a>

Neat, I wouldn't have expected you could polish acrylic without some kind of chemical or residue to fill in the blanks, but it's good to know there is a safe method to polish them... I just assumed that once you scratched it, it would nearly impossible to polish it even by mechanical (meaning sand-paper, etc.) means as even a super-fine sandpaper wold still just scratch it even further; it's good to be wrong sometimes :D

No you're right actually... we are just scratching the acrylic further and further. However, when you eventually get to the 4000+ grit range the scratches are so fine that you can't see them.

I have a kit you can have....come get it. I have glass tanks now.

Well, I understand the scratches being to fine to see individually, but I would have assumed that this would produce an effect similar to etching glass, and not actually restore it to full transparency.

siege;39110 wrote: Well, I understand the scratches being to fine to see individually, but I would have assumed that this would produce an effect similar to etching glass, and not actually restore it to full transparency.
15,000 grit sandpaper feels more like velvet than sandpaper. There's absolutely no visual difference between new and [correctly] polished acrylic. In fact, sometimes the polished looks more transparent than new...

Acrylic sanding kit is still available...I will never have a need for it again

naw thanks tho, i polished it myself, sanded the inside, and buffed the outside. Look good enough for a $50 refugium.

naw but it's a "displayfugium" It looks pretty good. Just have to wait till the new argonite stops making the water cloudy.

Back