Poor sea hare...

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I have on of those el cheopo hang on the back filters and for somereason took of the extendable tube. When I put it back on instead of the small hole facing downwards the big hole was faceing downwards. I got home from school and every thing was happy, and my seahare was buisy munching away on algea. I went downstairs to eat dinner., I get on arc then I go check on my tank. Every thing looks fine until... HOLY CRAP!!!! I see my seahares butt sticking out of the end of the filter. No water was coming out Mr.Green (my seahares name) was completely blocking any water from coming through! Mr. Green is about 4 inches long and 2 inch wide, he managed to make himself about 6 inches long and 1/2" wide! When I gently pulled him out he was still in the tube shape, and his little ear like things were folded back :sad: . Then once I got him out and was holding him to check for scratches and to make sure he is still alive, my peppermint shrimp whizzed out of the filter! I was so surprised I dropped Mr. Green! :( He's one of my favorites, and I'm sad he had to go through this. Will he be ok. He's eating algea but is acting different. I hope he'll be ok.
Diane

hard to say-keep an eye on him and if he dies, gethim out of there-I hate it when that kind of thing happens

arn't they tank bombs when they die? like take no prisoners style...

that's a funny/sad story though, I can imagine myself in that boat...I had a nem that liked to walk on the intake screen for my emperor. I guess your hare saw something in the intake he could not resist.

Good luck

that's what I've heard; esp. a 30 gallon-nearly anything would nuke that tank in no time.

Yeah, if he dies he will nuke your tank unless yu pull him out quickly.

But as far as that goes, i think he will be ok. He crawled in there because he could, not because it sucked him in. He has no bones....so why not?

a couple of years back, I had one die in a power head. When I tried to remove him, a crap load of purple die went into tank. Nothing happened.

He just got sucked up the tube and not into the filter so I think he will be ok. He's acting more normal now so I think he's going to make it:) . Now that I think about it, it was pretty funny seeing his but sticking out of the filter!

Don't even the dwarf sea hares get WAAAYYYY too big for a 30? Maybe not size-wise, but appetite. They're supposed to be big eaters aren't they?

jonboyb;254958 wrote: Don't even the dwarf sea hares get WAAAYYYY too big for a 30? Maybe not size-wise, but appetite. They're supposed to be big eaters aren't they?
VERY big eaters, but when he finishes with the algea in my tank I can feed him nori and he'll be just fine.

I wanted one for my cube but got scared away. Your's have the neon blue stripes?

Back