Possible app controlled motorized light lift?

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve seen some custom tanks on YouTube with motorized light lifts. Looks like this might be a solution that you could retrofit for a light rack. Supports up to 90 lbs.

The only person I know that's given this some serious thought is @Adam In the end he went with something fixed but I know he did quite a bit of planning for something just like this.

It really would depend on how big the tank is and canopy over it. A large heavy canopy would be a complete and utter pita if/when the motor for the lifting mechanism fails.

You can use smart switches on rails to control each side. Not a complicated or fancy app, but works well

I added one to my buddies Gary's tank and we used 4 - 12 volt linear actuators and a 3 way switch. So the switch stays in the middle and then to move it you have to hold the rocker switch in that direction. It runs off his battery backup system and I just added another plug in it to get power so it looks like it always came that way. I had previously built an aluminum rack to hold his led lights over it and it is over a 300 gallon dd tank from Marineland. I'll see if I have some pictures somewhere of it in place.

I’ve looked into the AuxxLyft motorized rack lift system. It’s kinda pricey but I think it’s a viable solution. The canopy for my tank needs to be hung from the ceiling and will have 3-4 Philips Coral Cade lights so I need a beefy option. The canopy was previously hung with a pulley system in the attic.

My set up is an 8’ in wall with fishroom behind it. I have plenty of room above the tank to build an adjustable light rack solution. My concern would be the humid environment above the tank. I have a beefy dehumidifier in the fishroom but fish splash and not sure how well some of these adjustable units would handle that.

This set up has a canopy around tank and stand and a fish room behind it and tank sticks out from room the depth of the overflows. I have not seen a problem with any humidity and this room only has a small vent fan for like a bathroom pulling out air no dehumidifier. Before I built this the rack was tied to one of those lifter things you mount in a garage with a rope and it worked but was a little heavy to one end because it started pulling from there first. I can say that rock with all lights in it plus power supplies is pretty heavy and the actuators have no problem lifting it.

Why the hell would you want it app controlled?

You just need a button in one spot, maybe two if your tank is long.

Oh I wasn’t specifically looking for something app controlled. It said it was when I found it.

I just got some actuators, relays and remote controls from Firgelli Automations for my light lift. Similar to the pic above. They were a great help over email to get the right stuff.

The frame stuff should be here soon so I cam start making it.

I think it will be a big help to be able to move the lights out of the way for maintenance or to add corals to the tank. Also to adjust par intensity/spread maybe? If the lights are higher or lower should impact those things.

I added one to my buddies Gary's tank and we used 4 - 12 volt linear actuators and a 3 way switch. So the switch stays in the middle and then to move it you have to hold the rocker switch in that direction. It runs off his battery backup system and I just added another plug in it to get power so it looks like it always came that way. I had previously built an aluminum rack to hold his led lights over it and it is over a 300 gallon dd tank from Marineland. I'll see if I have some pictures somewhere of it in place.
I used to sell motion control & linear actuators were a cost effective ‘go to’ solution for this type of application. I prefer servo motors, but they would be 25x’s the cost of a plain 12 vdc motor actuator now. The market is flooded with junk now too. They work, but who knows how long? Here’s a 10 inch travel, 225 load capacity version, for under $50 -

Back