Possible?

hhughes

Market
Reaction score
I now have a serious "hankerin'", as Granddad used to say, for some MH lights. I don't have the money so I was idly cruising around google when I found this... does this sound safe and reasonable??

a>

I do build up my own ballast and enclosure and I build my own reflectors. But I do have several years of working with high voltage . Is it safe completely dependent on the person doing the build. Their knowledge and experience of electricity being the foremost determining factor.If you decide to do it yourself I would by all means have an experienced licensed electrician inspect once done. That bulb that is mentioned on the site is probably the ugliest color available to the reef hobbyist.

+1 for Dave,

will provide nice growth though...

I say check some used setups out, they won't run much more and are entirely safe...

I was gonna say you might wanna get a 14 or 20K bulb....that 6500K is gonna be quite white/yellow-

I'm not a pro, but have a bit of experience with electric work (I've helped to rewire a house and other similar projects).

I'd prefer a used complete fixture simply for the ease and the fact that every DIY fixture I've done (all PC lights) were ugly as sin lol....

But... as I said, price is an issue, for now anyway.

there have been folks get old MH lights from places like Lowe's, HD, old school gyms, warehouses, etc. etc.....might wanna check those type places if you have any connections of that sort

I have three 250W MH set up almost identical to these.

It is quick, inexpensive and really works quite well however, The ballast box must be ventilated because they get hot.

If you scroll down you can se the setup here:

showthread.php

Back