Power Outage !?!

stevot123

Market
Reaction score
I recently had a power outage and unfortunately was using a siphon to drain water into my fuge and a return pump to complete the loop. When the power went out the siphon kept working(not a surprise) and the return pump turned into a second siphon(double bummer). I am looking for a backup battery system that could run a 900 maxijet for the return pump and a 1200 maxi in the tank to maintain flow. I tried to find one on fostersandsmith but they only had backup air pumps then I though about using one for a computer but didnt know if they would be able to supply enough juice for a couple of days(worst case senario) .... Any recommendations/suggestions so this problem would not happen again??

Thx Steven

You may want to try a UPS (Uninteruptable power supply). What this will do is, depending on the number of items plugged into the UPS, it will provide power to anything that is plugged into it. However, keep in mind that the more items plugged in the reduction in time the UPS will provide power. APC is a good residential UPS, some commercial size UPS's can be purchased from Powerware.

I hope this helps.

To prevent the second siphon on the pump side, we drilled a small hole in the return tube right at the water line so it will release the reverse siphon if there is a power loss. And we already took dawgdude's recommendation and have the HOB CPR overflow with the Aqualifter pump for the drain part so there is not a siphon issue on that side in the event of a power loss.

I use two PC UPS systems for my set up. One supports the return pump to my 210 and the other supports my skimmer. It will only buy me a couple of hours in an outage, but atleast it will give me time to crank up the generator (when I get it!) ... for now it keep things running for those short power glitches. I'll also be adding the battery back up for the vortech power heads but I forogt to ask Santa for it this year. D'oh! Now I have to wait for my birthday!

BZ

Back