Power outage

I know ecotech and icecap makes 2 batter back ups that are typically good for anywhere from a few hours to a few days. They are great for minor power outages but mostly just to run wavemakers. Generator to me personally is a better buy since it can run multiple items at once. I bought when when we had that hurricane that came in all the way towards the middle of Ga and I've never been happier with it.

We bought a generator a while ago, maybe last year. All I have going right now is my little 13g QT tank with 2 clowns in it. The sudden power outage was a good reminder that they can and do happen. Supposedly coming back on by 3:30.

Outage is how I lost my first tank. Middle of winter in the 30s out and lost power for 3 days. I didn't have anything to run the pumps or heater

Outage is how I lost my first tank. Middle of winter in the 30s out and lost power for 3 days. I didn't have anything to run the pumps or heater
That must've been difficult to deal with. I'm sorry.

Just remember to runt he generator for an hour or so a few times a year to keep it in good working order. The vast, vast majority of generators die from neglect, not overuse. When the power goes out, I wait about 10 minutes and start the process of getting the generator running and the power cable out. I consider it practice AND a good opportunity to run the generator. If it comes back on, good. If it takes longer than expected, I'm still warm with good water movement.

It was lost my 29g with a good bit of coral and my 125g with just a couple coral and some fish. I sold everything and been out of the hobby for little over 10 years

One thing to keep an eye on was you get a larger system is the temp differential between the sump and the tank. In my case, the main heat source is in the sump and that sump is in direct contact with the floor. In a cold weather power outage, the sump can get a lot colder than the tank itself. If I'm around, I keep an eye on the sump temp and if it gets too low, I unplug the return pump. When things kick back on, the sump heats up really fast and I plug it back in.

2 hours you’ll be fine.

I lost a big sps tank once because the power was out for days. Nothing I could do in the situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to keep an eye on was you get a larger system is the temp differential between the sump and the tank. In my case, the main heat source is in the sump and that sump is in direct contact with the floor. In a cold weather power outage, the sump can get a lot colder than the tank itself. If I'm around, I keep an eye on the sump temp and if it gets too low, I unplug the return pump. When things kick back on, the sump heats up really fast and I plug it back in.

Good idea .
You could program your apex to only run the pump up if the temp is over a certain marker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, can’t believe I didn’t think of that before. It makes me wonder about potentially using removable heat sinks in the flooring of my future tank and sump.

Just remember to runt he generator for an hour or so a few times a year to keep it in good working order. The vast, vast majority of generators die from neglect, not overuse. When the power goes out, I wait about 10 minutes and start the process of getting the generator running and the power cable out. I consider it practice AND a good opportunity to run the generator. If it comes back on, good. If it takes longer than expected, I'm still warm with good water movement.
Once a month . Turn gas on start it , idle , gas off let it run dry.

Back