Power outage

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
So it's been 15 minutes since the power outage hit, wondering how long I can wait safely before firing up the generator?
An hour?
It's kind of a pain to get it going but I don't want to lose anything.

I did not realize you were in Marietta also. Our power flickered but never went out. Our power has only gone out twice in the 12 years I have been here, once for about 5 minutes, the other took a couple hours and was literally due to a squirrel.

Power flickered a couple hours ago then went out all of a sudden at 850. I just finished turning the generator on and all is running okay. Though pumps seem to be over pumping so I'm gonna check the voltage.

I'm interested as well how it your it out for your tank.
I been wondering on the idea to get a power inverter generator due to the delicate small voltage stuff we use in the tank, controllers, pumps, etc.. inverters are costly but need more input to justify :D

Power was out for 5 hours. Longest we've had in over 5 years. I have a 3600 watt generator I pulled out that I had never used. Worked great and I'm glad I'll be ready for the next one. Definitely need to draw up some instructions for family members in case I'm not around.
I've got 1,000 gallons+ system so a couple bubblers are not going to cut it. I'm not sure if 5 hours is enough to nuke a tank but I'm thinking so. I got the generator on a Black Friday deal for like $200 so well worth the price. It lasts about 10 hours on 4 gallons of gas so the issue becomes having enough gas on hand. Here's me at wallmart at 137 am buying a larger gas can and stabil. Of course power was back on when I got home after 2
63d2ecdd592c4276cd4da8f2106c5786.jpg
alt="" />

Glad you made out OK. This time 4 years ago our power was out for over 24 hours at the shop... and our generator was on the fritz.

Fortunately our neighbour in the plaza was the contractor who was building the new Northside Cherokee Hospital. When he learned of my problem, he had a 10000 watt generator delivered to me in 15 minutes :) He literally saved all of my livestock. Saved all my frozen food at home too - we brought it to the store and put it in the shop freezer! :lol:

Right after that I got the genny fixed and I still keep it maintained to this day.

Jenn

joseayes;1116961 wrote: I'm interested as well how it your it out for your tank.
I been wondering on the idea to get a power inverter generator due to the delicate small voltage stuff we use in the tank, controllers, pumps, etc.. inverters are costly but need more input to justify :D

Inverters can be found very cheap. You will still need the gas on hand :(

Camellia;1117760 wrote: Inverters can be found very cheap. You will still need the gas on hand :(

I been wanting to find a quality one for a while now, been at outlet stores and been looking for a used one but honestly the used ones can be either in great conditions or sometimes they're ready to toss them. I've search on the local Honda dealer and I might get one on credit. Noise comparison with a generator is way to different.
A backup generator can be stored for years and sometimes we'd think is money wasted but you never know when you'll need it.

A few weeks ago our meter shorted out and had to have the meter box replaced. Our electricity was down for over a day. Fortunately it was a cool day otherwise our tanks would have been nuked. I fired up the generator and was able to run both return pumps and power heads in all tanks. In the past we have only lost power for a few hours twice in the past 10 years. A generator is a must even if you dont think you will ever need it. You just never know.

Rusty Im glad you were prepared!

Thanks Brett. Do you have a window Ac unit? I have one in the basement that keeps the tank and basement cool. You could always run to the Home Depot in a pinch I guess. I think mine is only 800 watts so I could run it and the pumps for sure. Maybe some lights too.

No I have a chiller for backup purposes. But, im not sure my current generator could handle that, the return pumps and powerheads. Im considering buying a 7000 watt gas, propane / natural gas generator with electric start.

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WGen7500-Portable-Generator-Electric/dp/B01N80F68E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498658643&sr=8-1&keywords=westinghouse%2Bgenerator&th=1">This is a pretty good deal.</a>

It's basically the same one I have, but at a lower price. I paid $850 in December.

*Edit*

After looking around I may get [IMG]https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Gen-8750-Natural-Propane-Conversion/dp/B00NUCEL14">one of these</a> to convert it to use Natural Gas, Propane and still gas. We have 33lb propane cylinders at my office...

outdrsyguy1;1117824 wrote: Wow. That's quite the investment. I still need to stop by and see your stuff!

Yes sir you do. Your welcome to come by anytime. :)

Costco just ran a sale on the one I described for 549.00. It was 250.00 off.

Back