Power strips

popsbjd

Supporting
Reaction score
So, I never have much thought to the power strips I've used with my aquariums. However, I'm setting up two tanks soon and was looking at the packaging on the power strip I bought and it says not to be used with aquariums. I get that water and electricity don't mix. However, should I be concerned about the strips I'm using?

I have one coralife timer/power strip that I use. The others are what I would consider general use/computer power strips. The ones mounted inside stands with no sump I'm not overly concerned about as they aren't exposed too much humidity/salt. I've mounted them where they won't get wet given tank failure and included drip loops on the strips and equipment going to them. My real question is about the ones by the sump. Should I be worried about them? I've replaced them when they get gunked up but never given it much thought. They are secured so that they would stay dry in huge event of either a tank or sump failure and if they fall of their mount they won't fall into water.

Td;dr Do you use general use power strips for aquariums? If not, what do you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I couldn't find many that were for Aquarium use lol. That said, I read enough about things shorting and burning up the plastic strips, so I use all metal ones.

I still think the best practice is doing your best to isolate it from saltwater.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dapperjman;1111745 wrote:

I still think the best practice is s doing your best to isolate it from saltwater.

That's tough though in a stand with a sump though. I built the stand for frag tank and am planning on building the stand for the 40B I'm setting up. I could just create a separate compartment for the power strips I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As long as drip loops are in place, a lot of people have the power strips mounted high up in their stand. I have heard good things about the American DJ Power Strips (
a> )

xilez;1111757 wrote: As long as drip loops are in place, a lot of people have the power strips mounted high up in their stand. I have heard good things about the American DJ Power Strips (https://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A-Mount-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002GL50Q">https://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A-Mount-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002GL50Q</a> )[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for a good way of handling the power for my water mixing station without spending a fortune. The 4 channel version looks like it will be perfect and at only $15 it's quite affordable.

Back