Power Supply and Tunze

jhutto

Reaction score
Guys,
While at MACNA I got a chance to spend some time with Roger at Tunze. He showed me the new Nano Wavebox along with their new Stream 2 Pumps which update the older series. These pumps were just announced in the last few months.

One item that caught my attention was the safety connector that can be use with all the new low voltage DC pumps, i.e., the 6055, 6101, 6201, 6301 and wavebox. The way it works is automatically switching from the household current to any 12 volt battery when the power goes off. He had hooked up two 6 volt flash light batteries and alternated with a small 12 volt battery to show how it worked. Car batteries would work also, and since the pumps are low voltage, it should last longer that previous models.

We have all had conversations about battery backups for our reefs to keep the flow goining due to ice storms, huricanes, etc. The saftey connector is around $50. We all realize Tunze has expensive products but most agree they are great products. All of these pumps are high dollar ones, but it does seem to offer something more than the battery operated airstones that some of us use now. The Nano wavebox was pretty neat also as its small, goes in a corner, and created quite a wave in that tank he had at the show. Think it goes to something like a 135 gallon tank. Just passing on something that I learned.

Joe

Yah the nano wave box was very cool. I use vortechs for my wave but I might've gone a different route if this item was out a year ago. Vortechs also have a battery backup that's supposed to last 18 hours but its a lot pricier than the tunze at 150. However, considering how much we have invested in livestock either option is worth it imo.

I just added one of these to my tank, it's a safety connector with two 6055's and a deep cycle marine battery.

Back