Powerhead placement/positioning

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
How and where are you guys/gals placing your powerheads? I feel like I'm not making the most of the flow in my tank and am still getting dead spots in the back no matter what I do. I'm running 2 Jebao WP25s, a MP10es and a MP40es on my 90g. I also have a Eheim 1262 as a return which puts out a good bit of flow. I've got all 4 pumps towards the top with the WP25s aiming downwards and an angle. My return is pointed more towards the surface for agitation. I have been getting cyano growth on the back of rocks where there is less flow. I messed around with them after I cleaned the WP25s this afternoon so we'll see how that works out. I also don't want to blast anything too hard, especially my torches, hammers and frogspawn. A few SPS seem to like a lot more of direct flow.

The way I have mine in place is 2 RW8's are attached to my center overflow pointing outward toward the side glass. Then I have two MP 10's attached to the side glass staggered, One up higher to the front and one down lower to the back but still both in front of the overflow. I get complete circulation of debris and can actually watch it float and is basically waterborne until it gets to the overflow at most all times.
I have two output return lines positioned so that they are pointing up touching the waterline yet at an angle down 1/2 sides touching the water inward to help push it into the sides of the overflow. This also allow idebris to go to the center intake of overflow.
Every time I change my filter socks or do maintenance I adjust the MP's to a different position to hit the rock and or different corals and a slightly different angle, they are never left in the same position more than a week. I see the most growth at the times the flow is directed toward particular coral and try to not leave anything out of the loop :)

I've got 2 rw15, 2 wp40, 1 wp25, and one Hydor 1250. My 2 rw15 face each other on each side of the tank. My 2 wp40 are on the sides as well but in the back corners facing up and towards the center of the tank. My wp25 is on the right side (back) facing directly at the right side so that it "bounces" off the glass causing flow to flow down to the corner. My Hydor is on the back left but facing directly to the front causing flow to come right back.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I used to put 1 RW 20 on each side of the 300 but just change it recently and like it a lot better. Now the 2 RW 20 in the back facing front + 1 RW 15 from one of the side and point toward the back in a very low setting. All the return aim to the top on the water mark.

Back