Powerhead Placement -- to avoid dead spots?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I have 125g (72" length) and 2 Korilla (sp) 4's one on each end.

I was wondering about proper placement to avoid dead spots (as much practical).

I've noticed some of your tanks with two powerheads placed on the back pointing toward the front. Is that a better placement?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

-gene

Gosh, plenty of readers and not one thought?

Was this just plain ole stupid?

geno;174919 wrote: Gosh, plenty of readers and not one thought?

Was this just plain ole stupid?

Ehhh...not stupid...everyone's just caught up with what to buy/trade at the upcoming meeting. Even my hubby is excited about the meeting and he's not really into the whole SW thing (must be the beer :yes: ).

In any case, I have a 4' 120g and I have a return in each rear corner of my tank that puts out a pretty good flow on each end of the tank from the rear. I have two Koralia 4's and I have them placed in the front of my tank on each end. The way they are placed almost creates a figure 8 of water movement in my tank. Play around with the placement until you're satisfied with how the water moves in your tank. (You can pay attention when you feed too to see how it moves through the tank. I was able to see mine when I put the food in for my filter feeders...)

Hope that helps...:)

There is not just one correct answer. Your rock placement, sizes, amount, surface movement, filter returns... would detremine were determine where to place your K4s. I just try iliminate any dead spots and shoot for even water though out the tank.

Roland Jacques;174933 wrote: There is not just one correct answer. Your rock placement, sizes, amount, surface movement, filter returns... would detremine were determine where to place your K4s. I just try iliminate any dead spots and shoot for even water though out the tank.

Roland's right... put your K4s wherever they make the most sense in YOUR tank. If you change your aquascaping, you need to revisit the placement of your power heads too to ensure no dead spots.

For my 6' tank, I have both of my powerheads on one end and both return loc lines also point the same direction. The powerheads point slightly up so they create a return current.

So don't feel constrained in having to put a powerhead on each side.

Excellent suggestions -- I had not thought about the linear concept and the possible canceling affect having them pointing at each other might create.

Ya, see -- you guys did help me think outside the tank (box)

I have 4 K4's in my 180(1 in each corner) all pointing into different areas, so I have turbulent water movement. ( And about 6 MJ's buried in all the rockwork.. Works great for my situation. :)

Back