Powerhead Placement

maveri9720

Market
Reaction score
Hey all, I am in the process of trying to finally place my Tunze pumps in my tank. I finally got some corals in there and now I need to fine tune the pump placement.

I have 2 x 6000 on a multi-controller in my 120g mixed SPS/LPS/Softies.

The 120g is 4 x 2 x 2. I tried some researching last night and alot of people recommended putting them in the back R and L corners and face them towards the front center, but I have dual corner overflows, so I can't put them in the corners and when I try to put them next to the overflows in the back, they are too close together.

I had one on the L side, about 1/2 back pointing towards the front center and one on the R side pointing towards the back center, creating a whirlpool effect, but then you only have the corals blowing in one direction.

As of now, b/c of time constraints, I have one on either side, mounted all the way to the front, pointing towards the rear opposite corners.

This seems alright, but some of my LPS are getting blasted pretty hard.

Just wondering what other people's set-ups look like and what has worked for them.

I know everyone's tank is different and it depends on rock formations and all, but just wanted to see what other people have done.

Thanks for the help.

Mine is pretty simple. I have two Koralias in the rear corners pointing to the middle of the tank. I will have (hopefully today) two more Koralias on the other side of my dual overflows pointing to the opposite corner of the tank. The sump return lines are pointing into the corners of the tank and a canister filter return is pointing left to right on the side of an overflow. Looking at the tank it would seem I have no dead spots.

If you have controllers, just point them at each other. Believe it or not, it will create some chaotic flow.

Back