Powerhead Recomendations Please!

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Barbara…if you’re out there. I promise not to lose any sleep over this one.:D </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I want to add a couple of powerheads to my tank. I have none now. I understand the need to have two…and to have them placed properly, but I want to make sure I get (1) the proper flow rate for my tank. And (2) a smart purchase. It is currently a FOWLR …but I want to set it up to slowly add some corals. If I understand my research correctly, the industry standard of 10x your tank volume is a good rule of thumb. So…if that’s the case, is that <u>PER</u> unit or a combination of multiple units?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Then there is what brand to purchase. Again, my research tells me that Tunze is the best. Unfortunately, the prices on these units are reflective. As far as I can tell they are nearly double the price of any other brand. But I must say, I can not dig up any dirt on their product. Not the 1st negative post…anywhere.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Tunze 6025’s are rated @ 660 gals. 6045’s are @ 1189 gals.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Koralia 3 is rated @ 850gal again for have the price.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Are Tunze worth the extra coin? What other brands should I consider…or omit. I have read where some have re-start issues.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom with me.</span></span>

I'd say go with Koralias. The main difference you are gonna find between them is controllability. Do you have to have this this? Not really. So for price and simplicity, do the koralias. They are cheap, reliable, and replaceable. The only way I'd choose the tunze initially is if I either had the money to spare and didnt mind paying the price, or if I really wanted less-limited options on flow rates and such (which might in the future affect some coral selection).

So in my opinion, both will work fine for you. The budget is the main issue.

Thanks Chris! Yes, if Koralias are know reliable, that sounds like the smart buy.

Koralias - 1
Tunze - 0

Just let me say this, you will probably want to upgrade to the tunze eventually, though. It just seems like the more you invest in livestock for your tank, the better equipment you will want to support it. I really think both are a good bet, but if you can afford the tunzes, do that. If not, you would be fine with koralias. I know this sounds flip flop, but honestly its all about money.

Tunze! They are smaller and the magnets are far superior than those that come with the koralias.

You can also easily mod the 6025 to put out 1100-1200 gph! Which makes it the better deal :)

Skriz;160965 wrote: Tunze! They are smaller and the magnets are far superior than those that come with the koralias.

You can also easily mod the 6025 to put out 1100-1200 gph! Which makes it the better deal :)

That simple mod is awesome!

Thanks guys!
Tunze inches ahead

Tunze 2

Koralias - 1

Hey, no one has addressed the 1st part of my question.
How much power do I need here. Do I need a pair of 1200gph powerhouses?

Get the Tunze. I use 2 6045's and a 6025 on my 75g mixed sps softy tank. My turnover is around 40x. It depends on the corals you want to keep but I wouldn't recommend much less than this. Also the customer service on the tunze is the best in the industry these pumps come with a two year warranty and they will honor it with no questions asked.

calireefer;160975 wrote: Get the Tunze. I use 2 6045's and a 6025 on my 75g mixed sps softy tank. My turnover is around 40x. It depends on the corals you want to keep but I wouldn't recommend much less than this. Also the customer service on the tunze is the best in the industry these pumps come with a two year warranty and they will honor it with no questions asked.

Yes, The customer service with Tunze seem to come up a lot. If the 6025 can be modified easily...that may be the way to go for now. The resale value on these babies is pretty good too.

Thanks!

<u>Tunze - 4</u>

<u>Koralia- 1</u>

Not much of a game anymore. And the one point Koralias got has an *!

<u>Tunze - 5</u>

<u>Koralias- 1</u>

I love the Koralias, but I would go with the Tunze if you don't mind the extra coin. So I guess that is 8 for Tunze.

Ok...
So tell me more about this modification.
I will have a pair of 6025's soon!

The good thing about the 6025 is that you can mod it. It will increase your flow alot!

ok i would go with the tunze 6055 if you can spair the change they are about 200 a pop but you can get a controller in the long run but tunzes all the way unless you want vortechs :D

I would also go with the 6055's but at the time it was not in the budget. The mod on the 6025's is real easy and will increase the flow to just as much as the 6045. I used a dremel to cut out the inner shroud this gave me just as much flow as my 6045's. I would not recommend cutting the outer strainer as those are structural and imo will not increase the flow. I have heard of some people cutting the nozzle back to create a wider flow pattern but have not tried it myself. If you need more info on these mods just Google it or check Reef Central.

Thanks everyone!
I am picking up a couple of Tunze 6025 from Navy Reefer!:yay:

His setup is for sale in the dry goods forum.
I have not asked him if he has done the mod. If not...sounds pretty simple.

Thanks again!

8-Tunze
1-Sureflow

I'll thourgh out "Sureflow" Maxi Mod as the best value pump out there, IMO. The small Tunze 6025 is a good value also. But the bigger Tunze's cost to much for what they do, comprared to a Sureflow Mod, really they both just move water. id rather spend my money on better lighting, skimmer or live stock first.

Prices with magnets
Maxi 400 $55 = Tunze 6045 $105
Maxi 900 $65 = Tunze 6055 $227

Without magnets
Maxi 1200 $40 = Tunze 6080-6130 $ 210-$260

If you're at the level of FOWLR right now and slowly moving into corals, I'd vote for the Koralias.

It may be awhile before you need the more expensive Tunze to support your more expensive livestock and by that time Tunze could have upgraded to a newer and even better model. Sometimes the equipment in this hobby seems to advance a quickly as computer parts. If you don't need it right now, buy cheaper and get the latest 'n greatest later.

Back