powerhead recommendations

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
so im about to order the last few items i need to setup this 150g tank trying to decide on which powerheads i will get. the flow from my returns will be about 1900gph split off between 2 return jets on opposite sides of the tank. my plan is to get 2 power heads on the sides would anyone get either 2x mp40s or 2x icecap 3k gyres ive just recently found out about these and they look promising for the price maybe someone knows something better i could be using im open to suggestions

I have vortechs and maxspect gyres, they are both solid choices

I personally use Vortech's and I love them. I also have a number of Tunze powerheads that I use in various situations. You can't go wrong with either one but I think you'd need quite a few Tunze units to get what you're looking for in a tank that size. In your case, I would recommend Vortech's. They're great units, the back end support for them is great and you can get replacement parts easily. On top of that, they hold their value really well if you ever want to sell them to change things around.

(Please note that I don't have any experience with the Gyre's and they seem really popular.)

i think i will get 2x of the 3k gyres and see how they work for the next few months and spend the money i saved from not getting the vortechs on a ato reservoir and kit

I have a icecap 3k gyre on my 120. It moves some serious water. I'm planning on a second power head on the opposite wall just to break up the flow a little. I feel it does a good job of moving water in my tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been using Vortechs for a long while and the only thing you have to have is a backup wet side and you’ll appreciate when they need cleaning. I have also used Koralias in the past but honestly, there’s something said in every market “renew or die”

I also have the reef power RP-M from reefbreeders and it’s been strong so far, I like the option to run it backwards to clean it up. I just got an Aqamai yesterday brand new, is still noisy but I hope it’s just because it’s new and the noise will go away. I put a Jebao in that same tank but just running temporarily and gotta tell you that the Jebaos move great amount of water, and if it wasn’t so much flow I also have an mp10 on the opposite side to give that movement to the whole tank.
Many choices. I’ve heard good reviews about the Gyres but I’ve personally not use any of them yet.

I have a icecap 3k gyre on my 120. It moves some serious water. I'm planning on a second power head on the opposite wall just to break up the flow a little. I feel it does a good job of moving water in my tank.

That was the PH I was looking at for my 90. You think I'm just going to get sandstorms in my 90, since you have a good deal more depth than I do?

I have Vortech's, and am giving serious thought about getting a pair of the new Maxspect xf330's for my new build tanks.

They are supposed to be much quieter, easier to clean/assembly & more reliable than past models, with fewer moving parts.

That was the PH I was looking at for my 90. You think I'm just going to get sandstorms in my 90, since you have a good deal more depth than I do?
You can always turn it down if it blows too hard. I have the gyre and a jebao on my 120 right now.

Reactions: bzb
I love my maxspect gyres with Icecap battery back ups. 2 - 250’s on an 80g deep blue move some serious water around.

Last edited:
I love my max peck gyres with Icecap battery back ups. 2 - 250’s on an 80g deep blue move some serious water around.
im entertaining the idea of upgrading to the maxspect xf250 or higher down the road i got 2 icecap 3ks right now running at 100% but im not sure if they are enough flow in my tank so ill see how it goes when i start adding coral

Back