Powerhead/wavemakers

nolan71416

Market
Reaction score
So I'm looking for some advice on a cheap wave maker setup. It's for a 36 or 45 gallon bow front reef tank. I have 2 powerheads currently and was curious if anyone has tried the Hydor koralia wave controller. It's the one that the power cord plugs into the pumps, its around $45 for one of those. I'm willing to spend a little more than that for something if it's much better. I know that in the reef world I shouldn't be to cheap on thing but I've gone over my budget so far and I'm trying to find a cheap way to keep flow. Currently with my powerheads I got great flow but it's continuous flow with no breaks I was think worst case I'd put one on a timer and have it run during the day with my lights and off at night. Any thoughts on what's the plan I should take. This is my last issue I'm dealing with now and have about 3-5 weeks till my tank is cycled so I have some time just want to get a plan together. Also if you have anything related to this topic for sale pm me, I've been looking through the forums but get sidetracked most of the time.

Thanks,

Davis

See if you can find a used vortech mp10. Will support your needs longer term and be a much simpler setup to maintain. In the end, mp10 probably will cost the same or less then multiple power heads and a wave controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take a look at the Jaebo RW 8s. You can sync them together and they are a great inexpensive controllable powerhead. I swear by them and use one RW8 and two of their DCt 12000 return pumps. I've never had an issue with them.

Thanks everyone gives me some good options to look at. Good thing is I got some time to really choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis, since you already have powerheads, opt for the controller to get them on opposing cycles. Otherwise, look at the Jebao RW series powerheads. Much cheaper alternative to the Ecotech's. I've used Jebao's alongside my Tunzes for years without issues. You can control the type of pulse, the length of the pulse, day/night settings and you can synch them if you have more than one. I would suggest nothing bigger than an RW-8 for your tank. I run two RW-15's in a 180 on 50% power.

On the RW-8 I see online each powerhead has its own device. I'm assuming those link together through wifi correct?

Found these also.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1108180=69776-IMG_3416.PNG
>
1108180=69776-IMG_3416.PNG
class="gc-images" title="IMG_3416.PNG[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back