Powerheads recommendations for Wavemaker?

lorenk

Market
Reaction score
I got a wavemaker from one of our very generous club members last night at the meeting. It's made by Sun-Wave but kind of looks like the Red Sea Wavemaker...I can't find much on Sun-Wave so assume the company is no longer in business.

I have one Seio 620 and one Koralia 3 in my tank. I don't think either one of those can be used with a wavemaker.

I would like some input from folks that are using wavemakers on what Powerheads are good options for the budget reefer.

Okay, I'm going to go with modded maxi jet 1200s I think.

Here's another question. The wavemaker can handle 4 powerheads. I'm going to use this in my 72g bf...how many should I use? I'm afraid 4 will be too much. Maybe one on each side and one in the middle? Or will two be okay?

This weekend when you stop by you can check out the ECO Mod I bought for my MJs and the mounting brackets. IMHO these are the best/cheapest bang for the buck!

Modded maxijets work poorly on a wavemaker from my experience. They will start up the wrong way 1/2 the time making a lot of noise and will wear down much faster. Ask Lee about it as well, he tried doing this recently. The best way to go with a "wavemaker" is just regular maxijets, which is not a bad way to go at all.

There is three big manufactures that i no of. Sure flow, Eco, and Gulf stream. The Gulf stream 2 & the Sure flow seem like the best value because they come with mounting hardware. Gulf stream is suppose to be going to a magnetic bracket soon.

For a 72 I would start out with 2 of the smaller mods, like the 600 or 900 mj. See how they do with your lps or sps corals. The 1200 with the big 3004 propeller flow close to 2500 gph.

I run the some sureflow 2500 gph on timers and wave makers, and the ones i have start up easy with no clack/noise at all. They come a long way IMO.

Im sure some local vendors have them also
Gulf steam 2 http://tritonaquatics.com/index_files/TheGulfStream.htm">http://tritonaquatics.com/index_files/TheGulfStream.htm</a>
Sure flow [IMG]http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~flow%20meter~action~view~idProduct~AF1551~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Algae_Free_Sure_Flow_1600_Maxi_Jet_Upgrade_Kit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Powerheads_Accessories~vendor~.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~flow%20meter~action~view~idProduct~AF1551~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Algae_Free_Sure_Flow_1600_Maxi_Jet_Upgrade_Kit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Powerheads_Accessories~vendor~.html</a>

Don't use an on/off wavemaker on anything short of an unmodded maxijet. As soon as you mod your maxijet, it has the same problem every other AC powered prop driven powerhead has which is prop clank and shortend life. On/Off systems pretty much only work on DC powerheads and those are few and far in between.

Thanks all.

As with all free things, it's never as easy as one would hope.

Cameron, didn't you post a bit ago about some DC powerheads from China? Did you order those?

Found some older threads on the subject that I'll read through.

Cameron is right, about not using prop pumps with timer/wave maker. Most of the prop pumps are very hard and loud on the the prop on start ups. And yes that will shorting the life of the prop greatly. The more it cycles the shorter the life (you can allways get new props).

IMO The louder the start up the harder it is on the prop. That said the Sure flow 2500 are the quietest start up prop pumps Ive heard. thats why im trying this one on a wavemaker. I expect at this rate the props to last about 1 year on a wave maker, but it only been 6 weeks and I'm just guessing.

isnt the normal maxijet a prop pump too? But the parts are softer plastic so they really dont make noise, they have the same latch mechanism on the shaft

I do have some China powerheads but haven't finished testing them. They work great in limited testing however and they will work on an on/off wave maker.

megadeth;101775 wrote: isnt the normal maxijet a prop pump too? But the parts are softer plastic so they really dont make noise, they have the same latch mechanism on the shaft
No, they use impellers. Impellers pump the water the same turning in ether direction. Props have to spins one way to push water. The anti reverse stop is what insures they spin right (except DC pumps) thats were the excessive wear comes in.

megadeth;101775 wrote: they have the same latch mechanism on the shaft

This is what I hate about Maxijets. They don't use the latch catch on the impeller. They glue the impeller to the magnet, which causes it to break much more easily. This is why I like Aquaclear Powerheads. They draw more power but I've never had one break. I've killed many many many many maxijet impellers.

Back