Predator Tank??

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
ok so im wanting to do one just trying to get a feel for it all before i jump on it. im wanting to know what all i can put with a humu-humu and a snowflake and maybe a bursa trigger and maybe a lion and thish will be in a 100 or bigger? let me know what you guys think

Id say an sump with lots of cheato would help alot beacause of how messie predators are you would have alot of nitrates and yo could put some lr and halimeda/calerpa in the display to spice things up and help nitrates reduction.

I think having a fuge with a deep sand bed might be a big help in processing the waste. I have found deep sand beds to be extremely helpful in keeping tanks clean and free of nuisance algae, and also very helpful in keeping the alk and ca stable. The only issue with a DSB is keeping it clean, but that would be easy to manage in the fuge, and only has to be done once a year or so.

Anthony Calfo had a great thread on reefcentral about using sand in a 5 gallon bucket as an rdsb (remote dsb). If you put the dsb in a fuge, you can grow chaeto and other things as nutrient export to help keep your tank clean.

So it wouldn't really be a 'fuge, because you don't need to grow pods for the tank, but it could help your system.

the main thing a/b the pred. tank is it's pretty messy. They eat a lot and usually drop food (don't eat every single piece) and the clean up crew doesn't exist b/c they will be eaten. so you've got to be really aggressive w/ your WC's. My 100 is/was a pred. tank-and I'm changing it over for that very reason. Heavy skimming is also a plus-but the main thing is WC's. When I was able to stay more on top of things I was changing about 25-30% weekly or at least bi-weekly. Another minus is you will find one or two species that are really bullies and will end up killing everything. My recommendation is to make yourself a list of what you will keep and stock it accordingly from least aggressive to the most aggressive being last put in. Not guaranteed, but should help-good luck, I ended up with two bad-a$$ fish that just killed everything else-and they have just been gotten rid of.

you could put a foxface in there for more color. i would use gravel not sand because it wont look as messy all the time

Back