Preventing recycling

charlieborg

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting ready to move my contents to my new tank. My question is, could it cause it to cycle again or worse crash? I bought a new sump. I cleaned all the contents with vinegar. Furthermore, I only washed the bio brick with fresh salt water. I took out all my sand and rock rubble. I am going with a lot of new bio bricks. I'm hoping it will be ready before I do the tank. How long does it take for the bacteria to set up in the new blocks? I would feel safer if it was good before I do the tank.

Whenever doing a large move from one tank to another there will almost always be a mini-cycle. Using all the rock, some of the sand and as much water from the old system as possible will help limit it. I would not recommend using a lot of the sand, no more than a quarter of it's volume, as it will be pretty dirty. It has the potential to really create a shit storm of problems beyond just the cloudy mess is will produce.

If there is nothing alive, creating waste, in the new tank then there will be nothing for the bacteria to use and multiply. You also have to remember it's not just the rock and media that houses bacteria. The overflow, pumps, plumbing sump walls... basically every submerged surface that isn't routinely cleaned will have a bacteria bio film on it which is part of the nitrifying capacity of the system. The new system is sterile and it will take time for the films to form.

You should really get a Seachem Ammonia badge and put it in a highly visible place on the new tank. This will be something that may end up saving your ass if there is a spike that can crash the system. Have fresh saltwater mixed and ready to go in case you need it. Also have Prime on hand, but don't use it unless you absolutely need it as it will hamper the bacteria. The most important thing after the move is to keep the flow high for a week or so. Not just the powerheads but through the sump as well. This will keep the water moving over the rock and media that is populated with bacteria and help it spread.

Best of luck with the upgrade. Plan your work and work your plan.

Thanks, Adam. I had a glass tank, the bottom cracked a year ago. I was lucky that I had a large cooler that I used to put everything in till I got an old acrylic tank set up. It's the one I am switching from now. It did ok. But at that time the sump was in use and had stabilized. This time is a little different, so I am being careful. Thanks for the advice!

Back