Preventing the jumper -- what do you do?

geno

Market
Reaction score
<u>The good news: </u>
I went on vacation for the first time since setting up my tank in April '08. I was gone for a week and had a friend top off my water in the sump (I no longer trust my ATO top off -- looking into a Tunze Osomolator!). I used an auto feeder rather than have her feed the fish. Came home today and everything was great. Doing my weekly water change tomorrow -- right on schedule.

<u>Bad news: </u>
After feeding the fish some nori and mysis I was strolling back to the kitchen and noticed something on the floor in front of the tank. It looked like a leaf so I went over to pick it up and saw that it was my 6-line wrasse. That snot jumped out of the tank with the egg grate on. How I don't know. This is my 2nd jumper and I have no idea how they get out. The wrasse is bigger than the holes in the grate -- what does he do -- keep jumping until he pushes the top open enough to get out?

here's an idea:

showthread.php

Good link. As I said in my post in that link, I used plastic mosquito netting from home depot. But then again, mine is outside of the lights sealing up the canopy, so no light obstruction. I have several jump attempts, but so far none have squeezed through the screen. If they did they'd look like spaghetti noodles anyways.

Thanks for the posts and ideas.

Guess what? I put the 6-line in the refugium (just in case) and the sucker is swimming around just fine.

Now, to catch him :doh:

Can he live just fine in there -- or do I need to get serious about getting him out and into the display tank? There's lots of pods in there -- not sure that's on his diet.

dawgdude;233024 wrote: Why?

IMO If you drop some food in there for him then he will be perfectly fine. I see my six line frequently lookin for pods on the rocks so I think he will be happy down there. Just feed him and make sure its not a 24 light on the fug.
I think you stated why in your post. Its will make short work of the pods in there. I have spent good money introducing a variety of pods in my fuge so having something that eats them in my fuge is out of the question.

I would try and get the 6-line out of the refugium. Having a predator in the refugium makes it another display tank not a refugium. ;)

Got the little guy out and back in the display tank. He hid for the best part of a day -- but is back to his normal cruising self.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance.

Now -- on to how to keep that sucker in the water :thumbs:

Back