Prizm Pro skimmer ?

swalke2

Market
Reaction score
Ive got two questions. The first is related to my Cyano thread.
1) I am running a<span style="color: black;"> Prizm Pro skimmer and having trouble getting it dialed in. When I first got it (used) I dialed it in to where the bubbles were right at the base of the tube as instruced. I could watch big bubbles form slowly, rise up the tube and into the cup. Well now I cannot get it working correctly and wondering if its normal. With the same setting location of the dial all I get now is a foam with small white bubbles and NOTHING going up the neck into the cup, this after a 24 hour run, cup clean. If I even move it just a hair I get a wet foam and fill the cup within minutes. Now this may be dumb to ask but on the first setting is it possiable that the water is so clean that it is not producing skim (doubt it)? Also is it possiable that it is not skimming correctly and feeding my cyano?</span>
<span style="color: #555555;"></span>
<span style="color: black;">2)This Skimmer is super noisy most of the time. I give it a good cleaning and it is quiet(er) for about 30 minutes then gets loud again.Gotta turn the tv up just to hear it. Turn it off and the tank is super quiet with PH's running and filter. Are all H.O.B skimmers that loud? </span>
<span style="color: #555555;"></span>
<span style="color: black;">Any suggestions here would be appreciated.</span>

Steve

It's not the best skimmer.

When you are dialing it in, have you had hands in the tank shortly before? Or fed the fish?

Oils from our skin, and oils in fish food can temporarily affect the surface tension in the water, causing skimmers to stop fractionating for a little while. That could be part of the issue as to why you're having trouble.

If you've had hands in the tank or fed, wait a few hours before you try tinkering with the skimmer.

Jenn

I dont think I had hands or feed (funny I typed feet first) before messing with it. Its been off since last night 7pm so ill go give it a try now.

Okay so its running and I watched it for a few minutes and so far the chamber below the cone for the cup is full of tiny white bubbles(anymore adjustment and I get super wet). It does not appear so far that the bubbles are getting any larger and climbing the cone, maybe it will take some time, which it didnt before?

They are tricky to dial in ... and there's no guarantee they stay dialed in (like I said, not the best skimmer...) My suggestion is to make sure you have something in place to catch the water if the cup overflows when you aren't looking.

Jenn

iIm really leaning toward buying a new skimmer, something better and more quiet if there is such a thing, Or maybe even going skimmerless and getting a bigger filter. Its just a small 29g.

Barbara, thats how I was running it . Aquaclear 50 with alot of snails and crabs and live rock to help keep it clean. I went to a skimmer for no other reason than to give it a try.

thanks

and I really hate the racket it makes! I feel that a reef tank should be enjoyable not nerve racking with the VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR noise coming out of it all the time :)

thanks for the help everyone!

Back