PRO/CON Bristle Worms

Todd13189

Market
Reaction score
I just saw an Anaconda sized Bristle worm coming out of the live rock during the day....

Whats everyones opinion on Bristle Worms? Leave them or Remove them?

Do Traps actually work?

Attachments

• IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
I don't mind them, i would leave it alone unless you are worried about touching it while your have are in the tank. They are a great part of a clean up crew.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

They provide a good service, getting into crevices of rocks and places that other clean up crew members can't, but I personally can't stand them. I used to have a tank full, but then I got a wrasse and rarely see any now. I always worried about bumping into one any time I put my hands near the rocks. They are fast, but you can pluck some out with forceps, especially while feeding as they usually come out then. Their numbers will keep in check based on feeding.

Last edited:
They provide a good service, getting into crevices of rocks and places that other clean up crew members can't, but I personally can't stand them. I used to have a tank full, but then I got a wrasse and rarely see any now. I always worried about bumping into one any time I put my hands near the rocks. They are fast, but you can pluck some out with tweezers, especially while feeding as they usually come out then.
Yeah Im worried about that too and they are terrifying looking. What kind of Wrasse will eat them?

I have a six line wrasse; never seen it eat them, but they disappeared along with all the flatworms after adding it. Six line's could become aggressive towards other fish, so just a word of caution to you on them (mine is in the tank by himself).

What size tank do you have? Depending on the size, a yellow coris or melansurus wrasse would be a more peaceful option.

Also, supposedly yellow banded coral shrimp will eat them too.

In my other tank, I have a possum wrasse, but didn't have any bristleworms before adding it, so can't say from personal experience if they do. They are a great fish for nano tanks with peaceful tank mates.

What to know about bristle worms Wear gloves or remember to use tweezers to get the spines out and run it under really hot water for a bit. It will swell and itch for 2 days, thats it.

You will never get rid of them no matter how hard you try. The number of them there are in your tank directly relate to the available food laying around. The only downside to them is finding them under rocks with your fingers.

Cant wait to see what monsters I find when I break down my tank in a few weeks.

Remove them if you can, I have a 3 foot long go unnoticed in my old 180g. I don’t know what they eat once they get to that size, must be zoas or fishes?

Remove them if you can, I have a 3 foot long go unnoticed in my old 180g. I don’t know what they eat once they get to that size, must be zoas or fishes?

Bristle worms dont eat anything still alive. If you had a 3 foot one, it was probably a bobbit worm. Those are bad, like really bad, but not common.

I think they are a good addition to any clean up crew. They do eat stuff in all the small crevices. Every once in a while I pull the biggest ones out during feeding time with some long tweezers...but overall dont mind them. I have brushed up against them before, not fun but not terrible either. :)

Oooh thats a nice one. Looks about the size of the one I found wrapped around my finger cleaning rocks way back when. That was when I learned a LOT of bristle worm stings in one spot can blister.

I think they are a good addition to any clean up crew. They do eat stuff in all the small crevices. Every once in a while I pull the biggest ones out during feeding time with some long tweezers...but overall dont mind them. I have brushed up against them before, not fun but not terrible either. :)
I’m thinking that’s how I feel too, they have uses but they are just creepy looking!

Back