Problems adjusting CA reactor effluent rate

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have a MRC 2 CA reactor with a mag2 recirc and MJ900 feed and I cannot for the life of me get the effluent rate set right. I know what it should be, but the needle valve is just too difficult to adjust.

It is the original MRC needle valve, so it looks very high quality. Could it be just dirty? I tried to disassemble it but couldn't figure out how without breaking it. Also there are 2 knobs, one seems to be the needle adjustment, the other seems to be a lock or stopper. Is that what they are?

Is there any other tricks or a better valve to use?

This is the valve. Note the two knobs, one slightly larger diameter than the other. Seems to be a stopper or lock...nothing more than a threaded washer.

>

Open it wide open, and let it run full flow for a while. A lot of times the debris from the media will "plug" the needle valve and make adjustment difficult, as you mentioned.

corvettecris;228836 said:
Also there are 2 knobs, one seems to be the needle adjustment, the other seems to be a lock or stopper. Is that what they are?quote]

Yep.

I don't even use that one. I have that one wide open and have another needle valve at the end where it drips and use that one to dial in the drip.

What kind is the second one? I tried that with a lees but it was just as hard to adjust.

Not sure what the brand is...its looks like a nice needle valve though (what ever that means)

Derek,
Are you feeding the reactor from a tee off your return pump, or do you have a dedicated pump for it? If you are feeding off your return pump, that is probably the cause of the issue, because I feed mine off the return and sometimes have that issue as well. I was told (maybe by Tim at MRC) that a dedicated feed pump (mini-jet or the like) gives a consistent effluent rate.

Might want to try a feed pump and see if that helps.
Dave

I feed my reactor off my skimmer intake line. And all I use is a cheap walmart fish section T valve its small and clear, super cheap. Thats on the end where the enfluent goes to a cup where the ph is measured. Then drips into the sump. 1 bubble every 3 seconds in the counter and about double the drips from the enfluent.

Back