Problems with acans

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So this was my second attempt with acans and it has been unsuccessful. The first one I had was in a high light area, bleached out and stayed closed up and eventually didn't make it. This one I've had for months and no success. When I purchased it from the LFS it looked like your typical acan open and puffed up. Since I've had it in my tank it has yet to open. Ive experimented with it in different areas in the tank high light, low light, high flow, low flow etc. but no change anywhere. I'm at the point to where I'm just going to have to call it quits on acans and realize that they don't lie my tank.

Any advice or suggestions?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Feed it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jvb89;1055534 wrote: Feed it?

Yes I've tried that a few times as well but no change. I may try to do it again at night when the lights are out and it has more of its tentacles out.

I feed mine NLS pellets during the day. Just drop 2 or 3 smaller pellets in some of the mouths. My a cans love them

Always puff up even more then normal throughout the day

Your welcome! Also I have found that mine like nitrates and phosphates. I've recently dropped my levels and they aren't as happy (puffy)

Nice looking specimen. What are your parameters?

Feeding - yes, but it might be something about the water that is making it sad.

Jenn

JennM;1055919 wrote: Nice looking specimen. What are your parameters?

Feeding - yes, but it might be something about the water that is making it sad.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn,
PH- 7.8-8.0 ppm (its been lower than usual lately)
SG- 1.025 ppm
Alk- 9 dkH
Ca- 440
Mg- 1300 ppm

Don't have a test kit that goes low enough for me to get an accurate reading on my nitrate or phospahate.

SnowManSnow;1055922 wrote: Too much light?

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I've moved it around all over the tank in different areas. For the last 2 weeks its been on the sandbed in a low light, low flow area but no change.

kylebolch;1055929 wrote: Low light, separate them from other corals, no high flow, give them a chunk of shrimp

For the last 2 weeks its been on the sandbed in a low light, low flow area, no other corals around it. I will see if it will takes some food.

JennM;1056352 wrote: Temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

78, haven't tested ammonia, nitrite in awhile since cycling. Nitrate is below 5 but I don't have a test kit that will give me numbers lower than that yet

Do you have a mixed reef, LPS or SPS dominate?

Are you dosing? When I was vodka dosing mine were very unhappy. Admittedly I must say, my tank got over dosed on vodka as well which is one reason I stopped.

Camellia;1056423 wrote: Do you have a mixed reef, LPS or SPS dominate?

Are you dosing? When I was vodka dosing mine were very unhappy. Admittedly I must say, my tank got over dosed on vodka as well which is one reason I stopped.

I have a mixed reef. I dose BRS Ca, Alk, Mg, and Aquavitro Fuel.

They shouldn't mind that although I've never personally used the Aquavitro fuel.
Odd that after reading your post one of my colonies that's in the center of two other acan colonies hasn't been opening up as normal. Theyve always been happy in this tank, weird!

I spot feed with Reef Rods awhile ago, usually that inflates everything!

Camellia;1056469 wrote: They shouldn't mind that although I've never personally used the Aquavitro fuel.
Odd that after reading your post one of my colonies that's in the center of two other acan colonies hasn't been opening up as normal. Theyve always been happy in this tank, weird!

I spot feed with Reef Rods awhile ago, usually that inflates everything!

Guess it's contagious through threads lol

Back