Problems with Anemones.

23cnhit

Market
Reaction score
Me and the wife started a 43 gallon bowfront about 6 weeks back. We have purchased two anemones. One being a pink tipped and another white one. Sorry the actual types are not known to me. Both bought at local stores. I have tested the water each week, and luckily not had any issues. Both of these anemones have died. What can I be doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. I love doing this, but I can't afford to lose 40-50 a pop on anemones.

Tank has been up and running for 6 weeks. I have a SunSun JVP-201B 1585 GPH Dual Aquarium Circulation Pump Wavemaker on the left and it blows around the tank giving a good flow. I test for all the chemicals that the API Reef Master Test Kitt will test for. I have a Current USA PRO orbit light 36-48" on for 10 hours a day at 60%

That kit doesn't include ammonia and nitrite, and since your tank is fairly new, how did you determined it was cycled. Any other live stock?

Also, that is your salinity/SG looking like? Temp?

How were the anemones acclimated?

23cnhit;1056014 wrote: Tank has been up and running for 6 weeks. I have a SunSun JVP-201B 1585 GPH Dual Aquarium Circulation Pump Wavemaker on the left and it blows around the tank giving a good flow. I test for all the chemicals that the API Reef Master Test Kitt will test for. I have a Current USA PRO orbit light 36-48" on for 10 hours a day at 60%

Anemones are somewhat of a challenging speices, as they can be finicky and require extra care. The API test kits aren't as accurate as others on the market. Check into the seachem, salifert, and Red Sea test kits, they are all popular choices throughout the hobby. How old was the tank when you added the nems? What filtration do you use? Also, could you discribe the two nems (google bubble tip, carpet, and Ritteri anemones). If different types of nems are kept close together, they can get into a chemical warfare and kill each other.

It has nitrates and ammonia in it, maybe I didn't find the exact one I have. I got it at Petco. The tank went through a week of cycling. We got the water from the local saltwater store and chemical that we added to help it cycle from there as well. Then we added some live rock. A week later we added some fish. The first anemone was 3 weeks after it was cycled. The next one was 2 weeks ago and I notice it was basically dead yesterday. The salt content has been within levels the whole time. I check it daily. The pump I use has a biofilter cartridge that spins as the water is cleaned. (if that helps) Please be patient and know I am a newbie, and not trying to offend anyone. Typed words can be misconstrued.

Sorry for your loss. :( Can you post all your parameters? Salinity, temp, pH, nitrites, nitrates and ammonia. How did you determine that your tank was cycled? Generally you want to see your Nitrites & ammonia at 0, then it should be cycled. As Luke said Anemones are tough sometimes and you usually want to wait six months or longer before your tank is ready to support some species.

I meant to add that when you add live rock there's a good chance you will experience die off and as a result you may see an ammonia spike.

23cnhit;1056020 wrote: It has nitrates and ammonia in it, maybe I didn't find the exact one I have. I got it at Petco. The tank went through a week of cycling. We got the water from the local saltwater store and chemical that we added to help it cycle from there as well. Then we added some live rock. A week later we added some fish. The first anemone was 3 weeks after it was cycled. The next one was 2 weeks ago and I notice it was basically dead yesterday. The salt content has been within levels the whole time. I check it daily. The pump I use has a biofilter cartridge that spins as the water is cleaned. (if that helps) Please be patient and know I am a newbie, and not trying to offend anyone. Typed words can be misconstrued.

id be skeptical of a 6 week cycle. and if you see ammonia, it is not complete. nitrites arent really an issue with saltwater like they are with fresh, ideally you want them 0.

what did you cycle the tank with? windex? ammonia? dead shrimp? damsel?

nems are kinda touchy.

if it WAS cycled i would suspect starvation. however they did die the same day, so i would point toward water quality. either one died and fouled it enough to finish the other, or it wasnt there in the first place. id wait a month. then attempt it again. but only 1.
nems will move around alot when they dislike their habitat. was yours looking for a different spot alot? hiding in a corner?

api should be fine to test nitrite ammonia and nitrate. i would look toward red sea kits if you decide to go sps tank.

Welcome to the great world of aquariums! Every single one of us has bloodied our nose a few times, so please, don't worry about offending anyone. You're asking the questions, and that's a fantastic start!

If I'm reading what you posted correctly, I've got a couple observations...

First, the guys at the stores need a kick in the ding-ding! They may not have technically done anything "wrong," but I want to think if they had asked about your tank, they would have suggested waiting a little while before adding more animals.

Yes, I know... Not their job... But... The better employees will want to know what's going on, and different stores have different people at different knowledge/experience levels. I'm not knocking them, but just know which person at the store you're getting advice from. We can all tell you stories - both good and not-so-good.

So keep asking here!

It sounds like a combination of three things:

First is the question of complete cycling. Test ammonia and nitrItes (nitrAtes aren't as important right now). Granted, Salifert and SeaChem have really accurate tests, but for your purposes, the API will do the job. When they both read zero, then the water is ronanly ready to being another animal in.

The second is if I'm reading correctly, there are already a few fish in there. So while the tank may have cycled already, adding a few fish will need to have all the bacteria catch up to the new work flow so that it doesn't get outpaced. I'd probably let it ride a little while before adding any more, but that's just me.

Third, which has been mentioned, anemones are weird people! They are wild cards. When you get a great one, you have a really great one! But in my experience, they can be quite fragile and finicky. I have seen entire shipments of anemones go down. I've seen one king of the tank. I've seen aquariums full of them, thriving away. Maybe next time, start with one and let it get well situated and at home.

Sounds like you're getting on the right track! You'll find lots of information here, and different hobbyists have different experiences. So ask around and pick the brains here. We're all in this together!

Pink-tip is a common name for a Condylactis anemone. Cheap, usually pretty hardy, except if they encounter a pump intake, and they have a pretty good appetite for fishes. They are not a host anemone (very occasionally a clown may take to one, but it's the exception, not the rule.)

The other one - you said it was 'white'... generally speaking, white is not a healthy colour for an anemone. Condies are sort of kind of white-ish, and so are ritteri (usually they have purple tips and shorter tentacles). Those are very delicate.

I respectfully suggest researching what you're buying before you get it. Some shops leave reference books where hobbysts can use them - and in this day of smartphones, somebody can google it on the spot.

It does sound like your tank needs to settle out more before trying these creatures - most of us have learned that lesson the hard way.

Get familiar with your tank's parameters and what they mean, and where they need to be - then you will know when your water is ready.

Jenn

Thank you all, they died on separate days. I only had one in there at a time. This will sound crazy but remember I am a newbie. We were told that we didn't need to feed them. I read where alot of people feed the shrimp or other small fish. I didn't because we were told they didn't need it. Should I have done that?

Sorry for your loss! Anemones do the best in tanks that have aged (not just cycled) for at least 6 months to a year. I have them in tanks with 4 bulb T5s, 6 bulb T5s and MHs and T5s.:D

anemones can live a pretty long time without any food. Plus they tend to catch bits of what you feed the fish. I doubt they starved honestly. Since your new, i have to ask a few silly questions..
1. Are you adding fresh tap water or de-chlorinating it?
2. Do you use a Reverse osmosis/de-ionization filter?
3. Sorry if i missed it, but what were the fish you added? (a few big fish could cause another minicycle in a new tank with maybe 35 gallons of water)
4. As stated above, please post everything you've measured
5. what did the anemones look like when they died? (melted, in pieces, dissapeared, etc)
6. Anyone have any info on that Current USA PRO orbit 36-58 light? It doesn't look like a lot of par but still anemone should live a couple weeks even on light that's not adequate imo (not long term, but atleast a couple weeks)

They did last a few weeks and then died. The fish were already there when the anemones were added. NO fresh water added. Just water from the fish store.

Not sure on the filter question. I have a hang on the back filter that has a bio filter. If you mean one that does osmosis that hangs on the wall. That is a no.

One was withered up and fell apart when I got it out of the aquarium. THe other one shrunk up and turned yellow, it was white.

Hmmm - not sure I knew this - these not being a host nem. I think mine is an RBTA and the clown has no interest in it either. He's in love with one of the Duncans and it works out fine.

JennM;1056325 wrote: Pink-tip is a common name for a Condylactis anemone. Cheap, usually pretty hardy, except if they encounter a pump intake, and they have a pretty good appetite for fishes. They are not a host anemone (very occasionally a clown may take to one, but it's the exception, not the rule.)

Jenn

Got any pictures of the tank you can post? Did the anemones wander around a lot or sit in one spot the whole time? If they wander, there are unhappy with either light or flow. And if they wander for a couple weeks that tends to mean they are going to perish soon in my experience.
If you are using water from the fish store, no need to worry about water filtration and such. I'm guessing you had a mini cycle since the tank is so new but would like to see pics of the tank out of curiosity. A mini cycle can happen anytime you add fish so you have to be careful about how much fish you add at once.

Here is the tank. I know alot of people will say the castle and other stuff should go. The castle has gone now and I got some more live rock. The fish in the plastic, is a yellow damsel that was in jail till I took him back to the store the next day. He was stressing all the fish.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1056563=64753-tank.jpg
>
1056563=64753-tank.jpg
class="gc-images" title="tank.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

43g and a tang. I really suggest going forward before adding anything else living to do research on it either through here, reef central, live aquaria, or any Google search. It's going to save you a lot of heartache and money down the road.

I know it's a small one for the tang. I plan on upgrading within 6 months to a bigger tank. Just trying to get my feet wet and learn with this small of a tank. I have trying to research alot on here and other sites. I have learned alot and still have alot left to learn. :)

Here is what the tank looks like now.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1056584=64755-tank 2.jpg
>
1056584=64755-tank 2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="tank 2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I'm definitely not a proponent of the 2 pounds live rock for gallon or whatever the rule of thumb is, however your quantity of live rock looks very small and quite possibly you do not have enough biological filtration to handle the fish load in the tank. You could be getting ammonia spikes and such from not having enough biological filtration.

Back