Project Night!!

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
So with my wife in class late 4 nights a week I get more quality aquarium time :D Tonight I was pretty productive, in addition to birthday shopping and going to the tag office. I hooked up my BRS 150gpd water save upgrade kit and booster pump. I also mounted my RODI unit on the wall next to my water heater where it's tapped into the cold water supply. I was just leaving it on the floor in there. This makes it look much cleaner in the garage now. Last project I need to do is hook up my auto shutoff float valve and finish my mixing station. One question to those with a booster pump, do you always leave it plugged in or just plug it in when you're making water? I have the pressure switch in-line already just no float valve yet to activate it.

A7C313CA-D6E9-45C6-9216-F73B5DEE8B78_zpsxdb8vimp.jpg
alt="" />
407E8816-41C5-443B-94ED-19844CBEC913_zpsvgs7wea6.jpg
alt="" />

The first half of my mixing station
E20A4F34-3FA5-4561-80AE-B0FDC4583610_zps9fms6hkv.jpg
alt="" />

Wow genius idea! Why didn't I think of that lol. Was it hard to tap into the water supply? Also where does your polluted water drain?

No it was real easy with the saddle piercing valve thing.

I bought a 15ft piece of tubing that runs the waste just outside the garage and down the driveway.

Great idea, I am going to have to try this one. No leaks with the piercing valve thing? I have been having trouble making water because i run my tubes under the garage door to the hose but the hose keeps freezing in this cold weather.

Mine hasn't froze, knock on wood. No leaking either. There's a thick rubber gasket that fits between the pipe and valve. They sell them at homedepot on the plumbing isle.

Can you take a pic of the saddle valve?

Edit: Just curious on how you hook it up to the rodi unit, where did you get the extra feet of tube if you don't mind me asking. This post needs to be in the DIY section as a sticky!

Man looking sharp, I bet it feels good to have every thing come together! A timer, solenoid and float valve... that system will be complete.

So with my wife in class late 4 nights a week I get more quality aquarium time

My wife works night shift , so once I get the kids to sleep it's time to... well, work. Most of the time it's catching up on all the stuff that I didn't get done during the day, but if I'm lucky, I can tinker with the tank.

With all that free time-
One word of advice, try not to aquascape after 9 pm...EVERYTIME I've done it, disaster.period.

NickH06- I've got a spare saddle valve laying around, you can have it if you want, but honestly any Home Depot should have them and the tubing for under$10 in the plumbing/ice maker area

a>

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. It's still a little cluttered for my tastes though. I don't really want to set the transformer on the floor and I have to run an extension cord all the way around the garage b/c there's no outlets on that side.

Just ran through the 30minute break in for the new membrane. I'm very pleased so far. I was getting about 40psi out of my previous setup. With the pump, its now holding at 80psi! In the 30minutes I ran it, it filled a 5g bucket. I was getting 5g of water in about 2.5hrs before :eek: If you are considering this upgrade, it's well worth it. I haven't measured my waste water yet to see my waste ratio but I will this weekend.

Just the ratio of good, usable water vs. waste water. Just kind of how much water you are using in the process to make RODI water.

No I know that I was just asking. . My bad I was trying to hi jack your thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Oh I see what you're saying now. In the summer we used the waste water to water our garden. Never saw any adverse affects on it from the waste. Now I just run it down the driveway wsince the garden is dead for the winter.

HiImSean;929061 wrote: Here's the saddle valve
692D37A6-CF84-4EFD-881D-61022F968433_zpsjonerma6.jpg
alt="" />

I used one of these in my previous house for over 2 years. It is still on the pipe, although not being used, and no leaks although I often contemplate whether I need to pull it and seal the hole with some solder before it becomes a tenant issue. I'm pretty sure I ordered it as part of my RODI package from BRS.

HiImSean;928903 wrote: One question to those with a booster pump, do you always leave it plugged in or just plug it in when you're making water?

I also purchased the 150 upgrade with booster. I only plug it in when in use. Over a period of time the booster does get pretty hot. I guess you could leave it plugged in if the socket is powered by a switch to just turn on and off.

Back