Projects for 10gal tanks

elithelion

Market
Reaction score
So over the Christmas, I've found myself with two brand new 10gal standard tanks. The question is, what to do with them? I've thought about doing a little frag tank, but I don't have enough frags to cover 1ft of the 10ft frag tank I have outside. I've thought about a quarantine, but I don't really have any fish coming through.

Whatever it is it's going to end up in my room, so something visually appealing would be nice :D

Hmmm... the possibilities abound: (here's what comes to mind really quickly)

1. Mantis tank (one of the 2-3" specimens from KPaquatics.com or a local store that gets lucky with a live rock shipment), "planted" with macroaglae.

2. Rock flower or maxi-mini anemone tank. RareReef.com seems to be flooding the market these days. Populate with porcellain crabs, perderson's or sexy shrimp

(next two will require a lid/mesh screen cover to cut down on jumpers)
3. Trimma gobies & lots of 'em!

4. Mated pair of ruby mandarins. Yes, you'll need to train them onto prepared foods or build a BBS feeder ala PaulB's, but in a small tank their behavior would be really distinctive.

You could also look into a HOB refugium (aquaclear + inTank inset) to give you some increased water volume & allow the bulk of your equipment to reside outside of the display. Bonus in that you can cut down on the live rock in your display by putting in some Matrix & deNitrate for cost savings & filtering efficiency.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, & don't consider the above to be the limit!

I've done the all in one nano, now it's getting transferred over to camelia :)

The rock anemone had crossed my mind and I think it be pretty awesome. I have a rock flower nem in my frag tank and its a model citizen. My lfs in blue ridge has them for like $8, but they're never really colored. Anyone know of a lfs that has some good looking ones for a good price?

The Ruby dragonet is a great idea! Anyone have any exp with moving them over to frozen?

I got my Ruby from Shac, it was eating Brine when I got him and eats all frozen now.

Awesome fish, for real!!

Love my Rock flowers but paid $100 each for them. Shac gets nice ones for cheap, they aren't huge but grow fast...

Yes, need to come see you soon.

Camellia;1065167 wrote: I got my Ruby from Shac, it was eating Brine when I got him and eats all frozen now.

Awesome fish, for real!!

Love my Rock flowers but paid $100 each for them. Shac gets nice ones for cheap, they aren't huge but grow fast...

Yes, need to come see you soon.

Had planned to take advantage of a day off yesterday to hit the Shaq, but too many errands had me on the other side of the greater metro area.

EliTheLion (sorry for minor threadjack) I just picked one up from Rit as well for a song. Not only did it acclimate itself (jumped out of holding container & into tank) but it's eating reef caviar and appears cyclopeze.

(ReefCaviar is just frozen cubes of capelin roe, so easy as all get out to find locally at any Asian market or at a couple of sponsors)

BulkRate;1065204 wrote: Had planned to take advantage of a day off yesterday to hit the Shaq, but too many errands had me on the other side of the greater metro area.

EliTheLion (sorry for minor threadjack) I just picked one up from Rit as well for a song. Not only did it acclimate itself (jumped out of holding container & into tank) but it's eating reef caviar and appears cyclopeze.

(ReefCaviar is just frozen cubes of capelin roe, so easy as all get out to find locally at any Asian market or at a couple of sponsors)

I haven't gone by shac yet. Gonna have to give it a try

Bring $40-60 and I guarantee you'll go home with something awesome. Downside of the place is that every time I go there, I become $40-60 poorer. ;)

I'd hit the $10-20 frags;) but many and grow it out.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Went by there today, I think they were low on stock. The rock anemones were baller though :thumbs:

Back