Proper Bulkhead size??

cment

Market
Reaction score
I can use a little help here, this is my first time plumbing a tank and I need to purchase the correct size bulkheads and dont know the proper size to get. The drain hole measures 1 3/4" and the return is 1 1/4". I have the original bulkheads but want to swap them out for schedule 80 and also a double threaded for the return so i can add so loc line...

You may be out of luck going to schedule 80 if your bulkhead holes are glass and pre-drilled. Like coop said the required holes are larger for sch 80 in the same size. You shouldn't need sch 80 for a normal application, and the 1" drain and 3/4" return size is normal.

If your holes are acrylic or another plastic, you can enlarge them with a Dremel with a sanding wheel.

it is an acrylic frag tank but I dont feel comfortable with enlarging the holes myself... I guess I will just stay with the original bulkheads then. I did originally take the bulkheads to Home Depot to find plumbing parts but nothing would properly attach to the male threaded ends. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

cment;960619 wrote: it is an acrylic frag tank but I dont feel comfortable with enlarging the holes myself... I guess I will just stay with the original bulkheads then. I did originally take the bulkheads to Home Depot to find plumbing parts but nothing would properly attach to the male threaded ends. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

if I understand you correctly outside threads on the bulkhead are for the lock ring.. you will glue a pipe or a fitting to the inside of the bulkhead

yes the threaded part of the bulkhead which is not in the tank, i thought i could just find a female PVC elbow that would screw into the bulkhead which would allow me to add my plumbing...

You can enlarge bulkhead holes in acrylic with a hole saw depending on your skill level with that.

cment;960624 wrote: yes the threaded part of the bulkhead which is not in the tank, i thought i could just find a female PVC elbow that would screw into the bulkhead which would allow me to add my plumbing...

The outer threads of a bulk head are just there for the threaded washer for creating a seal against the glass/acrylic, only the inside of the bulkhead is designed for standard PVC pipe and fittings. You will need male type or just pipe in order to plumb the bulkhead.

ghbrewer;960663 wrote: The outer threads of a bulk head are just there for the threaded washer for creating a seal against the glass/acrylic, only the inside of the bulkhead is designed for standard PVC pipe and fittings. You will need male type or just pipe in order to plumb the bulkhead.

isn't this what I said...lol

thanks for the help guys im going to look into this a little deeper...

All right guys, I must be slow. I went to HD again and none of the fittings in the plumbing section are matching up with these **** bulkheads I have. I want to get this frag tank up and running!!! If there is someone that would be willing to help me out with this tomorrow I'll toss them a couple frags for their time....PM me if youre up for it....

Ditto to what everyone said about sticking with Schedule 40 bulkheads.

If you have slip bulkheads, which is what most people use, you will need a small length of PVC to attach the fittings with. 1" PVC for the drain, 3/4" for the return. Insert the PVC into the bulkhead, and glue with primer and PVC cement, then insert the other end of the PVC into your fitting and prime/glue.

If your bulkhead is threaded (threads on the inside surface) then Teflon tape and a threaded adapter can be installed, and then glue the PVC into the slip side of the adapter.

Be sure of what you're doing before you do it to the bulkhead. Home supply stores don't carry bulkheads - you have to get them from a LFS.

Jenn

Yeah Jenn Im going to wait on this until I can get the proper help, I dont need a pool of water on my floor haha...

Back