Proper powerhead placement

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
Is there a right way and wrong way as far as where to place the powerheads so you get a good flow of water and a good draw of water into the overflow? Can anybody comment on how I have mine set up? I have a Koralia 1400 and 1150 at opposite corners of the tank at the top. Are the fans pulling water away from the overflow? Should they be lower in the tank? Thanks ya'll.

Here is a pic

1027043=60818-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428959475.740983.jpg
>
1027043=60818-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428959475.740983.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428959475.740983.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Always keep mine about half way. Blowing about strait across. Make sure streams colide for turbulent flow

I don't think there's a right and a wrong... but there's definitely better and best! The key is to tweak the positions and flows to eliminate dead spots, keep detritus from settling and building up anywhere, and keep nutrients moving to your corals. Like John said, I also like colliding streams to create random/turbulent flow patterns. Don't be afraid to keep tweaking until you find what works best for your tank/setup.

A few years ago when I first got my MP10's I talked with a few of the guys at Echotech (actually all of them several times). They recommended staggering them on opposite sides of the tank.

IDK if this only goes for vorteck products but that's what they suggested!

To add in on what others have said - i've had the best success with keeping mine staggered across from each other. In terms of height, I would assume that you don't have enough flow if you can have your powerheads that close to the surface of the water and not have air sucked in. Maybe lower them a few inches and point them straight across?

Back