Proquatics Heater Just Exploded in my RODI Trashcan

huskerreefatl

Market
Reaction score
I was just in my aquarium equipment room checking my QT and the heater in my RODI trashcan exploded. I mean, loud and with a little force, and scared the heck out of me. It was still plugged in so I immediately shut down the power to it. Needless to say, I will have to dump a whole 34 gallons of RODI, clean the trashcan, and get a new heater. The basement smells really weird now from the off gassing from it. I have attached a picture of what is left of the heater.

It was glass so there a glass shards all in my mixing can so it will need to be thoroughly cleaned. It is made by Hydor so should have been good quality. I have emailed them to let them know that it happened so we will see their response. I would have been really mad if that had happened in my sump.

Thank goodness it didn't happen in your tank or sump. I'm just curious if it was newly made RO water and really cold?

Nope. I last added water to it on Monday but the water isn't that cold. It is just tap water coming through the RODI filter and I set the temp for about 78. The funny, now funny not then, is that when it happened I didn't know what happened and reached into the brute trashcan to pull up on the heater. It shocked me a bit and sparks were coming out of the heater remnants so I dropped it and then pulled the main plug. It didn't trip the breaker or the gfci outlet that it was plugged into and was still hot. So I am not sure what would have happened if I had not been in the room and walked in later trying to figure out what the smell was. I could have really been shocked if I would have put my hand into the brute.

That's just crazy. Your very lucky on many accounts and your gfci outlet should have tripped off. Count your blessings and replace that outlet.

Will do. I did notice my typo of a GFO outlet instead of GFCI so I changed it...to avoid confusion.

huskerreefatl;1057540 wrote: Will do. I did notice my typo of a GFO outlet instead of GFCI so I changed it...to avoid confusion.

I almost did the same thing. :) Autocorrect isn't very friendly to our hobby.

That is true. The other interesting thing is that it must have shocked me more than I thought because my left arm is still tingling....about 2 hours later. Mental note: Loud boom in trashcan, don't put your hand in there....:)

huskerreefatl;1057545 wrote: That is true. The other interesting thing is that it must have shocked me more than I thought because my left arm is still tingling....about 2 hours later. Mental note: Loud boom in trashcan, don't put your hand in there....:)

You may want to side with caution and get it checked out by a doctor if the tingling sensation doesn't go away soon.

Bcavalli;1057554 wrote: You may want to side with caution and get it checked out by a doctor if the tingling sensation doesn't go away soon.

Electrical shocks (even small ones) can set up irregular heart rut hems that could manifest into problems hours later. Run to a doc in the box and have them check your rhythms. Most likely fine but better safe than sorry.

rdnelson99;1057560 wrote: Electrical shocks (even small ones) can set up irregular heart rut hems that could manifest into problems hours later. Run to a doc in the box and have them check your rhythms. Most likely fine but better safe than sorry.

+1

Good to know and excellent advised!

Here are pictures of what is left of the heater. Not only did it blow into small shards but it blew the leg off my circulation pump, that is the small peace in the upper left had side of the one picture. It also left gashes in the brute trashcan. There was a lot of force. I cleaned out the trashcan but it and the circulation pump both have an odd sulfurish smell to them. What ever gas was in the tube smelled terrible and now the equipment smells like it.

I emailed Hydor and they just responded asking for pictures and said that they would replace the pump.

I have to admit that I didn't have a chance to go to the doctor today but my left arm is still feeling odd....dang it.

BTW, I just googled "Exploding Aquarium Heater" and it comes up quite a bit. I had never heard of it before but it happens. One person commented that is why all heaters should be either completely vertical or horizontal. They said that if it at an angle, it can leak water inside and then short out....and explode.

I have had 1 Hydor glass, 1 Eheim glass, and 2 Cobalts that have exploded... One of the Cobalts actually just just cracked all the way around it. It was even working... Smelled it, luckily... Looked several places then reached in the tank to remove a power head then BAM.... Shocked me nice!! Then I found it in the sump. Now I have swapped to controlled titanium heaters. Still need 2 then they are ALL swapped out.

Go Titanium!!

Did yours smell like sulfur? I am glad that mine occurred in the mixed tub and not the sump. I didn't realize it was that common. I am just glad it happened when i was home.... And not on travel. My wife would have freaked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

As a follow up to this, I just received a new Hydor 150 watt heater from Hydor. I emailed them, gave them the heater size and sent pictures. Even though it was an old heater, probably 10 years old from my freshwater tank, they replaced it. They did seem a bit confused by the heater though not sure it if was theirs but I sent them a picture of the label. They reminded me that the warranty is 2 years and to keep receipts but replaced it anyway. Great customer service.

I always fear these heater issues. I now only run heaters with a controller. You can get them for about $20. Well worth it!

Back