Protecting Bulbs from water with retrofit T5

jballa15

Market
Reaction score
I am in the process of constructing a pine canopy for my 29 gallon reef. I want to have the T5 retro fixture 3-6" from the water, but I assume this will create salt creep on the bulbs. How have other people solved this problem? I do have a glass top, would that stop some light penetration? Thanks, John.

The glass top is a bad idea...not only would it affect the light, it inhibits air exchange at the surface and retains heat. At 6" you shouldn't have too much of a problem with salt creep. You'll need to wipe down the bulbs and reflectors periodically. The closer you get to the water, the more often that'll need to occur.

It also depends somewhat on how turbulent your tank is.

I run all T5's on mine at 3 1/2" and made my canopy as well...I have no problems..just have to wipe down bulbs and reflectors about once a month and its not even that bad..just some light maintenence. If your concerned, come take a look at mine when ya come over for the sump...if ya still wanna.

T5s aren't the concern that MH bulbs are. MH bulbs can unevenly heat the glass due to salt spray and being point of source lights with a small surface area a small amount of spray percentage wise effects it more dramatically. Since T5s distrubute the heat evenly across a large surface area, you can easily clean them from time to time.

If you REALLY want to protect them, a piece of high quality acrylic in front of the fixture not the tank should work but I wouldn't do it as that will heat up the bulbs and reduce par.

the above said, with non-retro fit kits like a tek....do you guys think its better to not use the acrylic shields that come with them and just wipe down the bulbs monthly?

I would say yes it is better to ditch the shields if it helps cool the bulbs.

thats interesting....in my case I have fans cooling the bulbs as well and the shield is just there for the salt creep. I guess what I am getting at is that if you ever do retrofit like jbaila would it be worth putting an acrylic shield under the kit and using fans to cool the bulbs......or do you lose way too much par with a clean shield?

I like the idea of leaving the top open. I plan to build the canopy 5-6", so the bulbs themselves will sit slightly closer to the water level. I agree the amount of salt creep depends on the turbulence on the surface. My set up is moderately turbulent with a HOB filter and skimmer. But sometime very soon, I will be constructing a fuge/sump with the help of Jade76 (still down after the holidays) to eliminate the HOB turbulance. I appreciate the knowledge of experienced reefers. Thanks, John.

Back