PSA to anyone plumbing / building their own setup

Is this tied to your pic in the “random pic of the day” thread?

Yah - I’m definitely OCD about running threaded pipe wherever something might remotely need to come apart again some day. I figure the service I do will probably be to myself = ) plus, it’s cheaper than throwing out a bulkhead or a gate valve - just pay for the threaded / true-union up front and re-use it many times!

And adding to the PSA theme... remember, folks: Teflon tape was NOT created for, nor is it rated to be used with plastic pipe. Only thread sealant should be used with threaded PVC/ABS pipe and fittings.

sorry you had to deal with this, man!!

Is this tied to your pic in the “random pic of the day” thread?

Yes it was. I had to cut through the connecting pvc from the bulkhead to the 90. Then there was some sort of putty on the bulkhead, pvc, and 90 where I assume there was a leak that had to be scrapped off to remove the bulk head nut. And I’m pretty sure the pvc was glued into the bulk head.

Yah - I’m definitely OCD about running threaded pipe wherever something might remotely need to come apart again some day. I figure the service I do will probably be to myself = ) plus, it’s cheaper than throwing out a bulkhead or a gate valve - just pay for the threaded / true-union up front and re-use it many times!

And adding to the PSA theme... remember, folks: Teflon tape was NOT created for, nor is it rated to be used with plastic pipe. Only thread sealant should be used with threaded PVC/ABS pipe and fittings.

sorry you had to deal with this, man!!

YES! Thread sealant does the trick and it’s easy to break loose when you need to remove it.

I’m glad someone posted this! Great minds...

Indeed they do!

I feel you - I have that stupid putty all over the house. Previous owners fixed pipe leaks (or their own failed “upgrades”) with putty. And it seems like the smallest serving size for caulk was an entire tube... half my window sills are just gallons of shmeared caulk!!

Back