Puffer + Reef = ?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have a porcupine puffer in their reef? I am thinking about putting my puffer, along with my 2 other fish into my softies tank when I get it up and running. I know they are known not to be reef compatible, but just wondering if anyone has had any luck with them in their reefs. Thanks in advance!

I had a porcupine puffer in my reef at one time, he lasted 2 days and off to marine fish he went. He ate an entire batch of zenia that covered a rock, i couldnt beleive it. I would not reccommend it. I beleive that the puffer is the coolest looking fish out there. Maybe one day ill set up a fowlr tank.

chrisjet;68012 wrote: I had a porcupine puffer in my reef at one time, he lasted 2 days and off to marine fish he went. He ate an entire batch of zenia that covered a rock, i couldnt beleive it. I would not reccommend it. I beleive that the puffer is the coolest looking fish out there. Maybe one day ill set up a fowlr tank.

Thar ya go, Mark. A little worker fish to help you thin out all that bothersome Xenia you have.

:D

I have a porc in with my reef.. I had xenia (the move killed it) but he never touched it, and it's been two months.. I have mushrooms, polyps, and some zoos too.. He never bothers anything...

I too have wanted a reef safe puffer for my tank.....

Only problem, none of them are reef safe. There's a few members of the puffer family that liveaquaria.com lists as "use caution". There's even a cool mimic puffer thats actually a file fish (I think it's a file fish, might be something else) that is cool, but its listed as "use caution" as well.....

I've even considered buying a brackish water Figure 8 puffer and aclimating him to live in the show fuge, but not sure it would appreciate the .0125 SP I keep the tank at. I do know they do fine at .0120, as for years (well two) I had a figure 8 puffer in a 55g by himself and he did fine. All my nieghbors thought I was so silly to keep a 1 1/2" fish alone in a 55g tank. When I tried to explain that it was only to keep the biological filteration active untill I bought a house, and started explaining the whole cycling issue, I would notice thier eyes would glaze over and start backing up slowly towards the door wishing they'd not asked... That must have been around 1990

Why the hell am I telling you guys all this? It's 4am, I'm thinking I'd best go to bed.......

Let me know how a puffer works out for you!

Dakota9;68224 wrote: I too have wanted a reef safe puffer for my tank.....

Only problem, none of them are reef safe. There's a few members of the puffer family that liveaquaria.com lists as "use caution". There's even a cool mimic puffer thats actually a file fish (I think it's a file fish, might be something else) that is cool, but its listed as "use caution" as well.....

I've even considered buying a brackish water Figure 8 puffer and aclimating him to live in the show fuge, but not sure it would appreciate the .0125 SP I keep the tank at. I do know they do fine at .0120, as for years (well two) I had a figure 8 puffer in a 55g by himself and he did fine. All my nieghbors thought I was so silly to keep a 1 1/2" fish alone in a 55g tank. When I tried to explain that it was only to keep the biological filteration active untill I bought a house, and started explaining the whole cycling issue, I would notice thier eyes would glaze over and start backing up slowly towards the door wishing they'd not asked... That must have been around 1990

Why the hell am I telling you guys all this? It's 4am, I'm thinking I'd best go to bed.......

Let me know how a puffer works out for you!

LOL!!!!!!

I wonder if a figure 8 is reef safe...... Hummm this might be the way to shut Jen up from that puffer she wants!!! Second question would a figure 8 take down a sexy shrimp or another small fish?!?

I've always heard that they are mean, but have never seen any of that behavior in them. I've had two over the years. I have heard that Green Spot Puffers are more mean than the Figure 8, but dont take my word for it.

I found this article from a couple that believes they are reef safe. Hmm guess I can only try and see what happens.

puffers

flyingarmy;68335 wrote: I found this article from a couple that believes they are reef safe. Hmm guess I can only try and see what happens.

http://www.porcupinepuffer.com/puffers/#Reef%20Safe">http://www.porcupinepuffer.com/puffers/#Reef%20Safe</a>[/QUOTE]

Just curious. Instead of putting the puffer into the reef, could you put a small portion of reef in with the puffer as a trial? You might get some indication about his attitude towards corals.

I have just set up my softies tank, water only in the main tank and I am going to move my LR that has all my Xenia on it into the tank and then add ol' puffy and see what happens. Worst case is puffy is full and I'll have less xenia to frag!

Back about 2 years ago the first time I switched my tank, I converted from a reef to a predator, I had xenia that grew crazily so there was still a bunch in there as well as some zoa's on a wall. my porq ate killed all the xenia within 2 weeks (we were talking 20 plus stalks) and he then killed the zoas as well. Sorry killed means eating above.

I am hoping my puffer (had him 2 years) will do fine. He was in a mixed tank at one time with a few anemones and shrimp and did fine. It really depends on how much you feed him. Mine eats like Porky Pig so we'll see.

I'm all excited now! I might actually be able to keep a puffer! Please keep us posted on how your experiement goes!

Back