Pump Advice

oldedb

Market
Reaction score
I am setting up a basement sump room and I have about 13' of head. I will also have a total lateral run of pipe that is roughly 15'. I will be running a 120G and a 30G frag tank on the same system and I would like enough pump capacity to run carbon and GFO reactors. I have a 40G sump and a 20G fuge. Noise isn't a concern b/c it is in the basement. I am questioning in sump vs external but I would probably prefer internal if I could get away with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I don't know all things return pump, but I would guess external is going to be the way to go. Look into Reeflo... I have a Hammerhead that I got from a member here that does the job.

I'd recommend Reeflo (aka Sequence) also. They are external pumps, I don't know of any submersible that would be up to that kind of challenge.

Be sure to plumb it with valves and unions so you can remove it to service it.

Jenn

JennM;965781 wrote: I'd recommend Reeflo (aka Sequence) also. They are external pumps, I don't know of any submersible that would be up to that kind of challenge.

Be sure to plumb it with valves and unions so you can remove it to service it.

Jenn

Jenn - Is this something that The Fish Store stocks? If no, any LFS in Atlanta stock something like this?

Give Fernando a call. I'm not sure if they're in stock or not but they can get them for you for sure. He can help you do the math too, to figure out which model. You'll need to know how far, how high, how many corners to turn etc., to calculate the amount of head.

Jenn

I did the exact same thing, 12-13' of head with a 20-22' horizontal run.

I found a refurb Barracuda/Hammerhead hybrid pump on eBay a while back, and it works great even with the lower speed Barracuda impeller.

They're about $400 new.

But they'll do the head pressure with plenty of GPH.

Pretty quiet, you'll hear it if you're in the basement but not otherwise - about as loud as a dishwasher.

I'd go with a Sequence pump (NOT Reeflo). Sequence are made in the USA and use high quality seals. The reeflo hammerheads have tons and tons of seal issues. They are not the same pump or company.

Back